Friday, February 19, 2010

finally!

Friday, February 19, 2010 (7:17 a.m.)

Yes Lord!

Finally! I am here.

First time out here was after one a.m. That seemed much too early. After some tossing and turning and a return to sleep after two, I was back up and ‘raring’ to go at 4:43. But one side-stop at first one website and then another once again postponed our time here together.

Mm, but Lord, finally I’m here saying, “Thank You Lord. I love You. Praise You. And thank You!”

Lord, I love the way You can work in my heart without my even noticing. Last night’s attempt at getting to sleep was fraught with negative, bitter thoughts. Long time ago hurts were revisited. Careless words were used. So I focused on those.

The second time around, sleep came easily. Peacefully. Detailed dreams were remembered and I woke up feeling truly refreshed. Rejuvenated. No longer the least bit resentful.

Why? You! You work in my heart. You work in my soul. In my mind and my strength and the next thing I know

(9:40 a.m.)

… it’s two and a half hours later and I’ve gotten sidetracked AGAIN!

Thank You Lord that I get to keep coming back and starting in again. Each time, secure in the fact that You have ever so much more to teach me.

Lord God, how I thank You for every time You have directed my thoughts and my focus back to Your love.

Ephesians 5:1-2 (NIV) started it at 5:30 this morning. “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

Two other versions add their own unique flavor to this truth. The Living Bible says, “Follow God’s example in everything you do just as a much-loved child imitates his father. Be full of love for others, following the example of Christ who loved you and gave Himself to God as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, for Christ’s love for you was like sweet perfume to Him.”

Eugene Peterson tells us in The Message to “Watch what God does, and then do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with Him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn’t love in order to get something from us but to give everything of Himself to us. Love like that.”

Oh yes Lord! Oh, that I would learn to ‘love like that’! Oh and You are teaching me exactly that!

This morning having awoken with the peace that passes understanding (firmly established!) down in my heart (Philippians 4:7) I recognized immediately that that kind of peace ONLY comes from You.

And now, as we finish up our time together here and get ready to go on to the rest of the day, I get to be reminded again through Peter’s second letter to all believer’s everywhere of the importance of living our lives in You and through You.

2Peter1:7 (The Living Bible) tells us, “But to obtain these gifts (God’s kindness and peace) you need more than faith; you must also work hard too be good, and even that is not enough. For then you must learn to know God better and discover what He wants you to do. Next, learn to put aside your own desires so that you will become patient and godly, gladly letting God have His way with you. This will make possible the next (very exciting!) step, which is for you to enjoy other people and to like them, and finally you will grow to love them deeply.”

Yes Lord! Finally! Teach me to love as You would have me love. I love You! Thank You. Amen.

(651 words ~ 10:27 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment