Saturday, August 22, 2009

unexpected

Saturday, August 22, 2009 (8:21 a.m.)

Glorious God, Fabulous Father,

How odd, strange, interesting, unexpected, perfect that I would wake up with “It’s a sign of the times” singing in my head. No matter how much I tried to change over to a seemingly more worshipful song, it was unrelenting. Thank You Lord for the ease with which I found the lyrics. Now the question that I have is, am I singing this to You, as I had originally thought? Or are You singing it to me?

“It’s a sign of the times That Your love for me is getting so much stronger” It’s my understanding that You and all things about You don’t change. So if any love is getting stronger it seems to reason that it would be mine for You.

“It’s a sign of the times And I know that I won’t have to wait much longer You’ve changed a lot somehow from the one I used to know-oh-oh And when you hold me now it feels like you never want to let me go” Again these are changes that would take place in me, never You.

It’s funny (odd, strange…) Lord. In all the years since I first learned to change the focus of any pop love song to include You as the subject being loved and adored, never have I considered that You would sing a love song to me. Am I on track here Lord? Or completely out of line?

“It’s a sign of the times That you call me up whenever you feel lonely It’s a sign if the times That you tell your friends that I’m your one and only I’ll never understand the way you treated me-ee-ee But when I hold your hand I know you couldn’t be the way you used to be”

I’m not saying that it’s a perfect fit. Of course You understand everything! But I DO call on You whenever I feel lonely and You DO know more about me than anyone, including myself.

“Maybe my lucky star at last decided to shine” I know. I doubt that You have a ‘lucky’ star and even if You do, it could never just randomly ‘decide to shine’ on its own. “Maybe somebody knows how long I’ve waited to make you mine” But I do believe Revelation 3:20, ‘Look! I have been standing at the door constantly knocking. If anyone hears me calling him and opens the door, I will come in and fellowship with him and he with me’ fits very well right here!

“It’s a sign of the times That you kiss me now as if you really mean it It’s a sign of the times And a year ago I never could have seen it” I believe there is Truth here Lord. Beneath the corniness of the rhyme and the fact that a year ago You could still see everything.

“Don’t ever change your mind and take your love away-ay-ay Just leave the past behind and baby, only think of how it is today” Here again, I know You want me to be preparing for eternity, not just today. However I do take comfort in the reminder that I am so loved by You! “It’s a sign of the times It’s a sign of the ti-i-i-i-mes…”

Father God, thank You for loving me so perfectly! Having looked out the window more than an hour ago and found such unexpected beauty in the sky. It was so much later in the morning than usual. Most days the intensity has faded by now. Today, perhaps I will remember to ‘expect the unexpected’.

Revelation 3:2 and 3 remind me, “Now wake up! Strengthen what little remains – for even what is left is at the point of death. Your deeds are far from right in the sight of God. Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly and turn to Me again. Unless you do, I will come suddenly upon you, as unexpected as a thief.”

Blessed Lord, keep working in me. Continue making me into the woman You created me to be. I love You so much dear Lord. I want desperately to be a sign of Your times! Only You can make ‘this world seem right Only You can make the darkness bright Only You and You alone…’ But that indeed is a song for another day. I love You Lord. Prepare me for whatever unexpected things You have for me this day. I love You. Amen.

(759 words ~ 9:48 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment