Sunday, August 30, 2009

Romans 12

Saturday, August 30, 2009 (7:18 a.m.)

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines, CA #1048

Awesome God,

Faith. Hope. Love. These three remain (1Corinthians 13:13) Speak to me of these, Oh Lord.

And You do! Romans 12:1 “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.” What does all this mean? Of that I am not quite sure ~ yet I read on…

“And do not be conformed to this world (v.2) but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” Oh Father, thank You!

Thank You that in this setting: a terraced garden, complete with pillared staircases and spiraling evergreens I hear the sounds of Your birds starting their day. Thank You for such reminders of Your grandeur.

Lord, I confess to feeling lost! Part of myself seems missing. Lord, how I ask that it be a character defect that You Yourself have either completely removed from me, or are in the process of changing to Your good.

Paul continued in his letter to the Romans (12:3) “For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.” Lord, I KNOW You are telling me something here! My heart has quickened ~ my soul is waiting with deep anticipation for the “Aha! Yes Lord ~ I get it. I understand.”

I know You want what is Your best for me. And I believe without hesitation that You know exactly what that is. Help me trust again Lord. The fear and doubt that has been shrouding me is not a good fit. I hate the negative cynicism that accompanies it.

You are so good. You have my back. I want to live each moment as though I truly believe, trust and depend on that.

Reading Paul’s description of the many members of one body (vs. 4-8) I again confess to not knowing where I fall in line with Your spiritual gifts. Here also I ask Your work in me! Keep filling me with Your goodness and Your grace as You continue removing the slag and the dross.

Melt me and mold me. Fill me and use me. I’ve barked up wrong trees for so long Dear Lord ~ get me to where You would have me. Put my focus and my energies exactly where You’d have them. You provide for us so perfectly. Help me to again see evidences of You in my everyday dealings with others.

Help me live the remaining words of this chapter (vs. 9-21) “Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love… Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”

I love You so much Dear Lord. And I want to live my life as if this were so. Help me do exactly that. I love You. Amen.

(533 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment