Monday, August 17, 2009

surprise

Monday, August 17, 2009 (6:34 a.m.)

Oh my goodness God,

Those were the words of my first conscious thought just now. Seeing the placement of the sun in the sky caught me quite off guard. It’s so much further to the south than I’ve been used to watching it. What a nice surprise.

As was finding Justin already ‘up and at ‘em’. Lord, I’m asking You straight off to provide for me an accepting heart this day. Help me to view the unexpected with a sense of joy and wonder.

Lord, You give us so much. Your love, Your life. I don’t want to continue taking any of it for granted. For example, finding my ‘misplaced’ Bible just now. Right exactly where it belongs. What a pleasant surprise.

Earlier, while still in bed, more asleep than awake, an idea came into my head that continues to hold on. Lord God, I would much rather have empty hands and a full heart than the other way around! You have blessed me with so very much Dear Lord. And I confess to ‘not being able to see the forest for the trees’ too many times. In the midst of abundance, far too often I grumble, gripe and complain while thinking I don’t have all I want or need.

This is never the case Lord. You provide for me perfectly. Help me learn this Oh Lord. Show me how to see the delight in all You give. Like the different placement of the sun in the sky and a chance encounter with our son in the hallway. Tapping out the homonym (sun/son) just now made me smile. Lord, help me smile (and laugh!) more freely. Regularly. Easily. Often. Again.

Thank You Father for a world of surprises. Like the lone butterfly feeding on the zinnia the other day right out the kitchen window. Never had I known of its proboscis (slender, tubular feeding structure) and I found myself truly in awe. That was the day You showed me many surprises in the yard. Bugs, insects and mollusks the like of which I had never seen.

Yes Lord, help me view the unexpected with a spirit of surprise, awe and wonder. I love You so much and You deserve so much more than what I offer. Thank You Lord for loving me as You do. Probably my biggest surprise of all! Thank You. Amen.

(400 words ~ 7:44 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment