Friday, November 30, 2018

devotion


Tuesday, November 27, 2018 (6:03 a.m.)
Heading south to Ensenada, MX
Holy God,

Good morning. Thank You for the color of the horizon this morning. Quite reminiscent of what we watched last night after the sun had set. Vibrant pinks and oranges one moment and all but gone the next.

Thank You Father for the reminders of all that is fleeting around us. Mm, yes Father. Thank You.

Thank You for this very moment. Ample time to sit here with You, exploring Your Word. Wondering, and now asking, where shall we go in it together.

As I awoke just now my mind was humming a tune I soon recognized. I had used the word ‘lovely’ more than once yesterday. This morning it came to me in full on Eliza Doolittle fashion.

♪All I want is a room somewhere Far away from the cold night air With one enormous chair Oh, wouldn’t it be lov-er-ly?♪

Oh yes Father. As I sit and consider all the things that could possibly be lovely, I must also acknowledge all that is fleeting. Like a thought I had yesterday.

For many years I have considered myself a rule follower. In SUCH a big way. Just as I noticed I was thinking it again I countered for the very first with, “But I want to be a Jesus follower!”

Yes. Yes. Oh yes, Lord! When it comes to the devotion I pay to rules and regulations, I want to give more than that kind of loyalty to You. First. And foremost! You. Your rules. Yes please.

And just like that, another song  

♪One! Singular sensation...♪

I want devotion like that Father. Knowing, believing, trusting in the Truth of Your Son.

We’re going to go home just before the first Sunday of Advent. Teach us to use this very fleeting Season to learn and grow more in the lasting abundance of life in and with Your Son.

The apostle Paul wrote to the church at Corinth (2 Corinthians) fearing “that somehow you will be led away from your pure and simple devotion to Christ, just as Eve was deceived by the serpent” (ch. 11, v. 3). Thank You Father.

The Life Recovery Bible’s comment for this section (11:2-4) tells us “Paul was worried that the Corinthian believers would replace their faith in Jesus with a false faith… Paul also was concerned because rejecting Christ would lead to painful consequences. Believers might reject the abundant life offered by Jesus Christ for lives of ultimate disaster.”

Most Holy God, how I thank You for his obedience to You. His example. His love.

This particular comment ends on this important note, “… true recovery is possible only through the work of Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit. Rejecting the hope offered in Christ is rejecting the only real power available for recovery. Looking to any other power will lead to disappointment and failure.”

Herein lies my plea of becoming a Jesus follower, rather than one who feebly attempts to keep all the rules. You know what this will entail. I trust You with my life. Do all You must in making me exactly who You would have me be.

I love You Father. Thank You for the ways in which You speak to us. Nature. Beauty. Music. Words. Change me. Use me. I love You. Amen.

(564 words ~ 8:25 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment