Thursday, January 30, 2014

good works

Monday, January 13, 2014

“the total state of soundness, health, wholeness and order”
(Illustrated Bible Handbook p. 736)

Thursday, January 16, 2014 (7:28 a.m.)
Blessed Father God,

I noted this insight on Sunday in an early effort

Thursday, January 23, 2014 (9:20 a.m.)
...to jumpstart meditation.

I didn't know it would take ten days for me to come back to it. Father, I ask You to speak to me about living my life in “the total state of soundness, health, wholeness and order.” These words are taken from a Theology in Brief entitled Good Works.
Thursday, January 30, 2014 (3:37 p.m.)

And here it has taken me seventeen days to read the whole section. Amazing, Father. I find it truly amazing when You speak to me. When You address questions I didn't even know I had. Amazing. And gratifying!

Thank You for this study on Paul's words of encouragement to Titus. Paul wanted this pastor on the island of Crete “to be faithful in applying the grace” that You provide in various circumstances.

Kalos, the word Paul used when writing of good works meant “beautiful, noble”; implying that “which is aesthetically pleasing as well as morally good.” Ultimately it came around to meaning the words with which I began this prayer to You.

The total state of soundness, health, wholeness and order” that are to rule within and about us packs quite a punch should only we be able to harness the power. Ah, but as I continue reading I am told, “Paul argues strongly that God's people are to eagerly pursue acts and deeds which are in every sense, 'good'.”

This section goes on to tell of Jesus' sacrifice to save us from evil, to cleanse us and make us eager for good works. This was His gift to us, not based on our own works, but by that of “the supernatural intervention of the Holy Spirit. The Spirit worked an inner transformation, through rebirth and renewal (Titus 3:4,5). Good works, then, are the natural overflow of Christ's work for us and the Holy Spirit's work within us.”

As Paul continued his encouraging words (3:8) he warned “all who have 'trusted in God' are to 'be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good'.” This is where I again start doubting my own ability toward goodness.

Ah, but then “Paul speaks of hospitality (1:8), self-control (1:8), encouraging others (1:9), temperance (2:1), love of good (1:8), love for husbands and children (2:11), peaceableness and true humility (3:2) and many other graces which enrich the lives of others as well as our own.”

True good works are not done by my trying hard enough. I believe them to be that wonderfully good work You are doing in me. Here I ever so humbly ask You to continue those perfect good works with me.

Thank You Father for Your heart for each of us. Let us use it to Your good and to You glory. Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(503 words ~ 5:14 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment