Friday, December 6, 2013

The Hummingbird

Thursday, December 5, 2013 (5:22 a.m.)
Blessed Father God,

I love You. You have blessed me abundantly. I am uncertain how to proceed here this morning. I am asking for Your guidance.

Hummingbirds. Yes! I remember the affect reading the legend of hummingbirds had on me while shopping yesterday. Father, You definitely brought my attention back around to thoughts of the past through that endeavor. Beginning with the short little phrase on the back of a Papyrus greeting card.

Hand to mouth right now. Wanting to stop the tears that are forming. Not gonna happen. They're gonna fall. Just like so many did yesterday. Right in the middle of shopping.

Glasses off. Wiping eyes. Deep breath. Continuing.

Yes Father. You turned the day I had planned and scheduled into one of “didn't see that coming” moments. Caught off guard by the simplest things. A description of hummingbirds. The miniature chocolates that seemed always available on my grandparents' counter. Years spent suggesting purchases with my dad.

Catch in throat. Hand to mouth. Tears rolling down my cheeks. Yes Father. I'm thanking You for my tears. Each reminding me that I am loved. First by You. Most apparently by my family of imperfect people.

Holy Father God, I wasn't expecting this. I am unprepared for all this emotion. And even with that being the case, still I thank You. You know what You are doing in my life. You are steering and guiding me. You continue putting Your Truth out there for me to use in my day-to-day encounters. Thank You that I get to lean and depend on You. Your Word. Your promises.Your Son. Your love.

Empower and enable me to use this day for Your good and Your glory. There's a lot of clutter to clear. Some people to contact. You to glorify and enjoy. Guide and direct me. Make me pliable. Available. Amiable.

“'Tis the Season” to make good decisions!

Now, back to the hummingbird. And instantly more tears. Our family associates them with my mom. Her joyful fascination with the nests and babies she got to witness. The one that hovered over our pool the day after she went to be with You. The many unexpected places we come across them, with seemingly no earthly explanation.

Papyrus says this, “Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy and celebration. Hummingbirds open our eyes to the wonder of the world and inspire us to open our hearts to loved ones and friends. Like a hummingbird, we aspire to hover and savor each moment as it passes, embrace all that life has to offer and to celebrate the joy of everyday. The hummingbird's delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning and that laughter is life's sweetest creation.”

What an appropriate attribute to associate with my mom. Wipe eyes. Blow nose. Hold mouth. Again I thank You for the tears Dearest God. Use them and me well this day. I love You. Thank You. Amen.

(512 words ~ 6:32 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment