Saturday, December 7, 2013

surprise attack

Saturday, December 7, 2013 (6:58 a.m.)
Holy Father God,

Thank You for changing my mindset. I had planned to say this and that to You about menial current events of our everyday lives. Then I saw the date. Seventy-two years after a surprise attack on The United States Naval Base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Territory.

Father, Your Word cautions us to “Be on your guard and stay awake. Your enemy, the devil, is like a roaring lion, sneaking around to find someone to attack” (1Peter 5:8).

Because people were disciplined and selfless all those years ago, I have the freedom to sit here. Pouring over Your Word. Looking through past records of events of those times.

One quote I came across from a “Man-on-the Street” interview dated December 9, 1941 was from an eighty year old woman. Lena Jamison described herself at eighty as “an old woman, hanging on to the tail of the world, trying to keep up.”

Right here, I pause not only to wipe my eyes and thank You for the sacrifice of so many, but to thank You for her having taught me a new word. Thank You for her ability to speak so poignantly.

“I do not want to be in the driver's seat. But the eternal verities [true principle or belief, esp. one of fundamental importance] – there are certain things I wish to express: one thing that I am very sure of is that hatred is death, but love is light. I want to contribute to the civilization of the world but... when I look at the holocaust that is going on in the world today, I'm almost ready to let go...”

“Hatred is death, but love is light.” Your Word teaches that. 1Peter 5:9 even speaks to her look at the world and temptation to let go. When Peter wrote to the Jewish Christians suffering persecution for their faith, he told them to “Stand firm when he [satan] attacks. Trust the Lord; and remember that other Christians all around the world are going through these sufferings too.”

The Life Recovery Bible says Peter wanted “To show us how to live well in a shattered and hopeless world.” At this particular time of year, many of us feel shattered and hopeless. Thank You for this reminder that YOU are our reason to hope!

“Hatred is death, but love is light.” Poignant. Perfect. Thank You Father. Empower and embolden be to live Your Truth well this day. I love You. I thank You. And I commend ALL those who have gone before us to give us the freedoms we have this day. Thank You Father. I love You. Amen.


(448 words ~ 8:20 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment