Sunday, December 1, 2013

another opportunity

Sunday, December 1, 2013 (6:11 a.m.)

Blessed, Wonderful, Holy Father God,

“Brisk and beautiful!” Those were the words I used to describe Your crisp morning air this morning. Brisk in temperature. Beautiful in color. Father, thank You for the opportunity to enjoy another early morning sky with You.

Enjoy. There's a word I didn't use a lot yesterday. “Argh!” Yes. “Grr.” That too. Along with, “That's it!” and “Another two minute time out.” Father forgive me. You provided us the challenge of two days with a two year old and we didn't rise to it. No. Failed comes to mind. Failed to enjoy.

Expectations weren't met. Goals not reached. And what did I do? Withdrew. Turned sullen. There it was just yesterday morning when I asked You to make me “vibrant with life”. If You did, I didn't wear it well.

And here we are with a brand new day. A brand new month. A month that ideally would be spent celebrating Your greatest gift to the world. The birth of Your Son. Our Savior and Lord. How I ask Dearest Father that You remind me so much more readily.

Right there I must stop myself. I confess to ignoring Your reminder yesterday. In the very midst of saying one thing out of sheer frustration and disappointment, I felt Your urging to speak truth. I didn't. I pretended. I seethed. I behaved badly.

Thank You for another new day. Another opportunity to learn. To live. To laugh. To love. Father, You are so very good and gracious. Your Word provides us with exactly what we need to continue in our quest for loving You as we ought.

“To strengthen the believers in Ephesus in their relationship with God and with each other” (The Life Recovery Bible BOTTOM LINE) the apostle Paul wrote this “somewhat personal message”. He reminded them “to place their faith in the only solid foundation for healthy living – God in Jesus Christ.”

As I read of his purpose for writing “to some close and dear friends in the mother church of Asia” I myself am reminded that “we can change! But our transformation is possible only on God's terms.”

Blessed Father God, how I long to live and love as You would have me. You provide us power to change. You created each of us. You know Your best for us. How I thank You for another opportunity to practice Living as a Child of the Light (Ephesians 5:1-20).

To 'follow Your example in everything I do just as a much-loved child imitates his father' (v. 1).

To 'be full of love for others, following the example of Christ who loved us and gave Himself to You as a sacrifice to take away our sins' (2).

To learn what pleases You and to have nothing to do with that which doesn't. You've given us Truth and light by which to live our days. Not only at this time of year, but every single day. This is the first Sunday of Advent. Another opportunity to be who You created us to be.

Father, I don't want to get caught up in the trimmings and the trappings of this season. I also don't want to ignore and just be done with it either. I ask You to teach us to use this present opportunity to share Your love with others. To truly focus our lives on Jesus and why He really came into this world all those years ago.

Thank You Father for my less than stellar behavior yesterday. Thank You for another opportunity to remember just how childish I can still be. Let me fully embrace the Truth and wisdom of Paul's words. “So be careful how you act; these are difficult days. Don't be fools; be wise: make the most of every opportunity you have for doing good. Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to find out and do whatever the Lord wants you to” (Ephesians 5:15-17).

Yes Father! Make it so. I love You. I thank You. Help me live this 'nother opportunity for You. Fully and well. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(690 words ~ 7:57 a.m.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment