Friday, November 8, 2013

Contentment it is!


Tuesday, November 5, 2013 (5:56 a.m.)
Off coast of Ensenada, MX
Most Beloved Father God,

How I thank You. We're having another adventure. And we're learning again in the process. Thank You Father. Thank You for the opportunity to be doubted and proved right. Thank You that even though that particular situation left me feeling defensive and eventually shut down, this morning I see it for what it was. A doubt. I was doubted. Not such the big deal I tried to turn it into. Thank You Father.

So this morning, this lovely chilly morning, please guide me in our time together. Shall we discuss doubt? Or contentment? Contentment in the form of not always getting what we want, but rather in wanting what we get. Guide me in Your Word this morning Father. Direct my heart, mind, soul and strength here to Your liking.

Contentment it is! Thank You Father. You are the One who gave me the mom who worked long and hard teaching me that I “had better just take what you get and like it.” In many, albeit not all, ways this mindset has served me well through the years.

Today I'm asking for YOUR wisdom in the things I am to accept as they are and those that You would have me change. The Life Recovery topical index has me reading a Serenity Prayer Devotional for Philippians 4:10-14.

“I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation, whether it be a full stomach or hunger, plenty or want;” (v.12). The Apostle Paul penned these words to the people in Philippi while waiting in a Roman prison to learn if he'd be executed. This was truly a man who not only knew and loved You, but he lived You as well.

Father, I long to trust You to the point of death. Whatever the circumstance, I want to wholeheartedly sing “It is well with my soul” Here I smile as I turn in The Hymnal for Worship & Celebration. This powerful hymn is found under “Life in Christ Inner Peace and Joy”.

Yes Father. Truly I long to live each moment with inner peace and joy. Satisfied. Contented.

A rather long paragraph I noted ten years ago on my birthday says, “The process of recovery is a time of learning to find serenity while also accepting life as it is. Life isn't fair. It isn't predictable or controllable. It can be wonderfully rich in some ways and terribly difficult in others. When we become willing to face the hurt in our life and consider how we reacted to it, then our discomfort can lead us to break the destructive cycles. Then we can learn to be content with the things we cannot change.”

Even on that rare occasion when I feel doubted. Father, thank You for changing my mindset last night. Thank You for loving us and teaching us. Work in and through me this day for Your ultimate good and glory. There's an adventure to be had. Let us use it well.

I love You Father. Thank You. Amen.
                                                                         (533 words ~ 7:10 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment