Monday, November 18, 2013

best intentions


Sunday, November 17, 2013 (8:30 a.m.)

Monday, November 18, 2013 (5:56 a.m.)

Best intentions. I am filled with them.

Get started here. A distraction there. An unexpected interruption. Absolute plans of coming back. And another day gone by.

Father God, how I thank You that Your love for us is not based on our perfection. Not even on our best intentions.

And here I get to thank You and thank You again and again! While I had planned to confess to You the myriad of attempts I have made and the distractions that followed, I'm instead rejoicing over the hope I find in Your Word.

While this hope does not release me to repeat mistakes, it reminds me that the apostle Paul struggled with his own best intentions (Romans 7:17-20 The Message). Father, thank You for his willingness to share his own weaknesses.

As I turn the page away from The Struggle Within (The Life Recovery Bible) I read The Holy Spirit Offers Freedom (Romans 8). Thank You Father. Thank You.

The Illustrated Bible Handbook reminds me that “Romans 8 affirms our release from condemnation.” As I keep struggling with my own best intentions of which Paul seemingly wrote, “I try, but I cannot!” (loosely Romans 7:23-25) I am more than buoyed by the hope, “I cannot, but the Holy Spirit within me will!”

Here is where I must confess! I have all but forgotten the power of Your precious Holy Spirit. I keep trying. Failing. Trying again. Without first coming to You asking for the healing power of Your Holy Spirit.

This morning may I please be rid of my own best intentions? Instead I truly ask for Your best! Whatever that looks like. Guide and direct me this day I pray. I love You. I long to serve You. And I ask that I be empowered by Your Holy Spirit to do as You wish. Thank You Father. I love You. Amen.

(324 words ~ 6:40 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment