Tuesday, December 14, 2010

praise

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 (6:09 a.m.)

Awesome God,

Teach me today about praising You. “Thanks” comes fairly easy. But I don’t understand a lot about praise.

I heard it said a long time ago that we are to thank You for the things You do and praise You for the things You are. Is this true?

I have my Psalty Bible at the ready. This is where the songs in my heart and my head are coming from so far this morning.

Don’t you know it’s time to praise the Lord? In the sanctuary of His Holy Spirit So set your mind on Him And let your praise begin And the glory of the Lord will fill this place. Praise the Lord, praise the Lord

Even as I sing those words Dearest Lord, I wonder. Just exactly what IS the sanctuary of Your Holy Spirit? And how do I praise You there?

With that asked, let me confess to You right now. I KNOW I am to praise You! There are so many things for which I am truly grateful. And right at this very moment I’m just not ‘feelin’ it’ God.

I mean no disrespect! In fact, I think it would be more disrespectful to continue asking You about praise while I’m sitting here thinking ‘yeah, yeah, sure, sure’. You deserve SO much more from me than that!

So what do we do Dearest Lord? I confess that I can’t even praise You on my own. You remind me that You can teach me. And then I decide to let You. Hmm. Seems pretty basic to me.

My heart is weighed down with the concerns for other people Lord. I even noticed the very slight beginning to a headache last night. My neck is stiff and most of my smiles so far this morning are practically forced. None of this looks like praise to me Blessed Lord!

Oh but You are so good Dearest Lord. With tears in my eyes, I turn the pages of other Bibles and then I find it! From looking up ‘praise’ in the back of The Life Recovery Bible I am reading about ‘Hope’ at Psalm 42. My face and heart, perhaps even my mind and soul are all smiling as I read “Why then am I downcast? Why be discouraged and sad? Hope in God! I shall yet praise Him again. Yes, I shall again praise Him for His help” (v. 5).

Going into the living room to get our Learning Bible again I smile as I read about the photo of a fifth century mosaic from the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, Ravenna, Italy. The caption of “Hinds Longing for Water” tells of the importance of water to all living creatures, often representing life itself. Off to the side I am directed to see the note at 18:46. Curious, I go. And? Yes! Another smile!

A photo of the rocky hills and cliffs of Palestine (near Arbela) represents a “mighty rock”. Lord, I confess to not fully understanding the tears that this particular verse is provoking in me. But praise You I will!

“You are the living Lord! I will praise You. You are a Mighty Rock. I will honor You for keeping me safe” (Psalm 18:46).

Praise You God. Teach me how to praise You. I love You. Amen.

(558 words ~ 7:45 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment