Friday, December 3, 2010

"Oh!"

Friday, December 3, 2010 (5:50 a.m.)

Absolutely Awesome God,

“Oh!” What a perfect first utterance for the day. Such an automatic response escaping my mouth so naturally upon seeing the sheer beauty of this early morning hour!

“Oh!” Lord. It’s breathtaking! When I first started walking down the hallway I wasn’t even sure it was morning yet. The darkness caused me to doubt the time I had just read on the clock. Hmm. How often does darkness cause us to doubt?

Oh, but to see the sky Lord! Still dark with just swishes of light breaking through the clouds that are becoming more visible. An occasional glimpse of the thinnest Cheshire Cat moon. Oh and let us not forget to mention the bright morning star!

Lord, it’s the first morning I’ve gone outside in I don’t remember how long. Plus, when is the last time I’ve pulled up a chair to the kitchen window just to sit and watch for over half an hour?

Oh! Lord! Such beauty. Such awe. Such genuine appreciation! Thank You Lord. Thank You for the blessings that allow us to enjoy moments such as this.

Turning to the book of Hosea this morning I thought I had found the most perfect verse to express all the feelings my initial “Oh!” represented. “Oh, that we might know the Lord! Let us press on to know Him, and He will respond to us as surely as the coming of dawn or the rain of early spring” (6:3). But then I remembered. Isn’t this the book about the guy who was married to the prostitute?

Sure enough! The very next verse (4) reminded me all too well that things aren’t always as they seem. “People of Israel and Judah, what can I do with you? Your love for me disappears more quickly than mist or dew at sunrise.”

Oh but then in verse six You bring it all back home again Lord. “I don’t want your sacrifices – I want your love; I don’t want your offerings – I want you to know me.” And how perfectly You tie that right back to the song I immediately started singing with the very first utterance of the day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GahhhnOu4w

Oh most dear and blessed Lord, how I do indeed love You! Thank You for this day. Thank You for this opportunity to come be with You. Thank You for Your love. Your plan. Your goodness. Your grace. Help me use them well. I love You. Amen.

(419 words ~ 8:23 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment