Tuesday, December 21, 2010

God's goodness

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 (5:42 a.m.)

Oh Your Goodness Lord,

Your great and glorious goodness! Thank You Lord that it is because of Your goodness alone that we as a family of believers are getting to grow in Your Word.

Lord God how I thank You for being able to wake up safe and warm. Thank You that as my very early morning thoughts gave way to actually waking up, praises of Your goodness came first to mind.

While, yes, there are some very solid requests for safe traveling today, it’s Your goodness that has my rapt attention. Especially as I read of it in 2 Peter 1:3-9. “We have everything we need to live a life that pleases God. It was all given to us by God’s own power, when we learned that He had invited us to share in His wonderful goodness.”

Lord, it is indeed Your wonderful goodness that yesterday allowed me to break a lifelong pattern of shying away from the tough questions. The rains we are having are causing damage to our home and the husband is calm about it. Because of Your incredible goodness this particular time I did not let his calmness go unquestioned.

The model I grew up with had a wife who ‘freaked out’ over problems and a husband who yelled at her because of her fear. I confess Lord, over the years we have mimicked their example almost perfectly. That is until yesterday.

I felt the panic Lord. Time after time, with varying degrees of fret and concern. But this time I voiced them. Calmly. Collectively. And the husband and I prayed together numerous times throughout the day. The rain hasn’t stopped. The leaks are still here. But for the first time in my life I said straight out loud, “My dad is yelling at my mom in my head and I don’t want to get mad at you because you don’t seem to be as upset about this as I am.”

Thank You Lord. That’s You and Your goodness at work in us and through us! “God made great and marvelous promises, so that His nature would become part of us.” (v. 4a) And You are! “Then we could escape our evil desires and the corrupt influences of this world.” (4b) Thank You most dear and blessed Lord.

“Do your best to improve your faith. You can do this by adding goodness, understanding, self-control, patience, devotion to God, concern for others and love. If you keep growing in this way, it will show that what you know about our Lord Jesus Christ has made your lives useful and meaningful. But if you don’t grow you are like someone who is nearsighted or blind, and you have forgotten that your past sins are forgiven.” That’s Your goodness talking Lord! Your goodness working to change lives.

As this Christmas season continues drawing loved ones together, Lord how I ask that Your goodness and grace be ever present in our gatherings. It is the birth of Your dear and precious Son we are to celebrate. Let us remember that. Thank You Lord. Thank You for Your love, Your perfection, Your goodness. Help us use them for Your ultimate good. Amen.

(527 words ~ 6:42 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment