Friday, November 12, 2010

fishing

Thursday, Veteran’s Day, November 11, 2010 (4:00-ish p.m.)

Big Bear Lake, CA ~ Carol Morrison East Boat Ramp (38˚)

Blessed Lord ~

Hallelujah! Thank You! Thank You for friends and fun. Thank You for laughter and new ideas. Thank You for twenty-four hours of sharing food, housing and warmth with loved ones.

Parked right now along the side of the road on our way home, watching my husband fish, I wonder Lord, what it truly is like to become fishers of men. Turning in Your Word, I read more about Simon Peter.

Watching the sun go down behind a mountain and feeling the air grow colder by the minute, I continue to read and to wonder. Reading Luke chapter 5 I see Simon struggle with his own sinfulness (v.8). Just a few verses earlier (5) I am aware of his obedience. Lord how I thank You for loving us at our very core.

Using my husband’s Bible right now, there is a devotion relating to this very chapter. In verse 10 Jesus told Simon, “Don’t be afraid! From now on you’ll be fishing for people!”

Friday, November 12, 2010 (7:35 a.m.)

Most Dear and Holy God,

What a privilege it is to wake up singing I will make you fishers of men… If you follow me What a joy. What an honor. What a privilege!

Yesterday at the lake Lord, I was introduced to the idea of Simon Peter as a “reed man”. I didn’t have the first clue as to what that meant. In doing a little bit of digging just now, I see that it relates to being swayed by the surroundings. I definitely fit into that category! I even found a webpage that speaks clearly [after having been translated from Korean?] to this very thing http://english.fgtv.com/sermon/ser_text.asp?data=1a060312

Lord, as I continue nosing around wondering what else there is for me to learn about Simon “the reed man” and Peter “the rock” I am again filled with the hope that comes from realizing that I am not alone in my starts and stops with You.

Blessed Lord, You know my heart. My thoughts. My hopes and dreams. As well as my limitations. Thank You that You are not put off by any of them! In fact, in verses 31 and 32 You address this as well. “It is the sick who need a doctor, not those in good health. My purpose is to invite sinners to turn from their sins, not to spend my time with those who think themselves already good enough.” Thank You Lord that You know us each so very well.

I come before You this morning asking that You would improve my fishing skills. Teach me how to faithfully follow You that I would truly become a fisher of men.

I love You so very much Dearest Lord. Yesterday I also read, “Love people and see how God intends them to be.” Work in me on doing that as well. Thank You Lord. I love You. Amen.

501 words ~ (9:10 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment