Saturday, November 13, 2010

blessings

Saturday, November 13, 2010 (7:10 a.m.)

Blessed Lord,

Forgive me. I’m coming to You, but this morning it is NOT with an attitude of gratitude. I’m sneering and snarling and just being an all around jerk. That’s not cool!

Where’s the applause for You? The gift of laughter? The singing? The thanks and praise and worship? (Psalm 100) I’m sure it’s all here in my heart somewhere but there seems to be a pile of junk covering it up.

Thank You Lord that I don’t have to pretend with You. Originally I had planned to come in singing about ‘counting my many blessings and naming them one by one, counting the blessings and seeing what You have done.’

I don’t know where the gratitude turned to grumbling but I thank You Lord that I don’t have to pretend to feel something I’m not. Thank You that just last week our blessed pastor [there’s a blessing! J] urged us to remember that “feelings are fickle”. Thank You Lord that he used the illustration of a train with faith being the engine and feelings the caboose. He cautioned that we not get the two confused! With faith pulling the train, feelings fall in line. Thank You Lord. Thank You!

(7:55 a.m.)

I found the words to Count Your Blessings right off the bat but I wasn’t “feelin’ it” so I went on a search for the snippet of something trying to sing itself. Looking through the Psalty songs I’m not finding it. …if you follow me… Is it “Fishers of Men” from yesterday? Whatever it is it has me searching Your Word, not willing to just mouth words of thanks and praise because I’m supposed to.

How stubborn and brat-like can one girl be Dearest Lord? Oh but here is the pay off! Here comes the acknowledgement of Your many blessings on our behalf. John 1. “Before anything else existed, there was Christ, with God… Eternal life is in Him, and this life gives light to all mankind. His life is the light that shines through the darkness – and the darkness can never extinguish it. God sent John the Baptist as a witness to the fact that Jesus Christ is the true Light… And Christ became a human being and lived here on earth among us… We have all benefited from the rich blessings He brought to us – blessing upon blessing heaped upon us!”

While I may not be singing the words of blessings to the song right now Dearest Lord, thank You that I am singing Your praises! Smile on my face. Peace in my heart. Ready to see what the day holds. Asking only for knowledge of Your will and Your power to carry it out!

There’s the applause! Here’s another gift of giggles! I WILL enter Your gates with thanksgiving in my heart, I WILL enter Your courts with praise! I WILL say this is the day that the Lord has made, I WILL rejoice for You have made me glad! You have made me glad… I WILL rejoice for You have made me glad!

Thank You Lord for the blessings You continue pouring out upon me ESPECIALLY when my attitude does not warrant them. Thank You Lord. I love You. Amen.

(546 words ~ 8:28 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment