Monday, March 8, 2010

fairness

Monday, March 8, 2010 (2:48 a.m.)

Awesome, Amazing, Exciting, Wonderful God of Glory,

When was the last time I woke up this excited to come out here to learn from You? I honestly don’t remember. But here it is once again, that feeling of being truly agog [very eager or curious to hear or see something] with You.

Thank You Lord. Thank You that yesterday at church we were able to experience an extremely gifted musician named Trevor Davis, who according to a webpage written about him says, “My lyrics are a reflection of where I’m at in the process of becoming who I’m made to be”. He is also the same young man who introduced me to the idea of ‘living vertically’.

Lord, what a thought! So often I get caught up in seeking the approval of others. I compare myself and my offerings to what I see other people being or doing. According to this highly animated and talented child of Yours in yesterday’s service, that’s living horizontally.

Lord, I DO want to live for You. Through You!

Recently I’ve been thinking about having a single (vertical) standard in my life. Your cross has got to be that standard! I can’t continue trying to keep the peace around me. For far too long Dear Lord, I have truly believed it was up to me to make everyone come to the point where they could understand and get along with one another. That’s not my job is it Lord?

Thank You that You are such a good and gracious God that You will let us run full bore in ridiculous directions until we finally exhaust ourselves and come limping or collapsing at the foot of Your cross. What a wonderfully loving God You are!

Lord, I was faced with the question yesterday of what I covet. I confess, Lord, I covet fairness. Balance. A system where everyone does what they are supposed to.

How naïve am I? Or would a better word be misread? Unlearned?

Chapter 11 in the Book of Isaiah is titled ‘Promises of a Perfect Ruler’. Verses 1-5 tells, “The royal line of David will be cut off, chopped down like a tree; but from the stump will grow a Shoot – yes, a new Branch from the old root. And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, the Spirit of wisdom, understanding, counsel, and might; the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord. His delight will be obedience to the Lord. He will not judge by appearance, false evidence, or hearsay, but will defend the poor and the exploited. He will rule against the wicked who oppress them. For He will be clothed with fairness and with truth.”

Lord, I look to You. Vertically. Help me keep looking to You for the fairness I covet. Mm. How nice of You to provide the perfect song for me along these very lines. Let the glory of the Lord, rise among us, let the glory of the Lord, rise among us. Let the praises of the King rise among us, Let it rise

As the melody continues the words change to ‘the songs of the Lord, the joy of the King’ and I look again to You asking, seeking, knocking that I could experience Your fairness this day Dearest Lord. I look to You in my quest to “live vertically”!

I love You Lord. Thank You. Amen.

(574 words ~ 6:45 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment