Wednesday, December 23, 2009

tradition

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 (4:40 a.m.)

Oh, Most Holy God,

You are incredible! Wonderful! Marvelous. Beyond all description and understanding.

Lord God, how I thank You for this particular moment right here, right now. The chills coursing through my body (both inside and out) have very little to do with the chill in the air. And everything with the awe of being in Your presence.

So far this morning Lord, You have met every thought I’ve had with either a Bible verse or a song. With my own thinking, I’ve brought up the scariness of the wind to You. It’s huge this morning, Lord! “Blustery” only begins to describe its forcefulness.

And what do you do? Remind me that I am safe indoors, out of it. But not only that, You turn my prayers to those who are not. Oh Dearest Lord, protect Your children who have no other choice than to hunker down, many of them alone. And so very cold.

Lord of all creation Of water, earth and sky The heavens are Your tabernacle Glory to the Lord on high God of wonders beyond our galaxy You are holy, holy The universe declares Your majesty And You are holy, holy

Oh most Holy God, upon awakening my first thoughts were of the wind and what Your Word might have to say about it. But as soon as I sat down here with You Lord, ‘tradition’ came to mind. Followed almost immediately by the song Tra-dition, tradition! And the next thing I’m reading (Matthew 15 and Mark 7) about Jesus speaking with the Pharisees and other religious leaders, ‘correcting the distortions of Your Word that their traditions have caused’.

Oh Your goodness Lord! How clearly I see (another glimpse Lord!) how the traditions that we’ve set up around here do very little to honor or represent You well.

My Life Recovery Bible has this at the bottom of the page, “human tradition had begun to supersede God’s revealed Word. Ritual had begun to replace a relationship with God.” Blessed Lord, on this day before we celebrate one of the most Holy nights ever, how I ask that You would take firm hold and change our human tradition of bickering and backbiting. Be glorified in us Dear Lord and in our new tradition of worshiping and honoring You!

Dearest, most Precious Lord, thank You for this opportunity to come away with You. Thank You that I get to read others' (Ruth Bell Graham and Elisabeth Elliot) words in regards to the importance of doing just this.

They both had personal experience with this. One spoke of the godly example of her father’s alone time with You. And here in her own meditation on Your Word I even find comfort from my fears of the wind. “All creation praises Him all the time – the winds, the tides, the oceans, the rivers, move in obedience…”

Oh most blessed God, let me move in obedience to You this day ~ as freely and as directed by You as the wind. I love You so much. Thank You for speaking to me again through Your Word. Word of God Speak Thank You Lord. Amen.

(529 words ~ 5:48 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment