Wednesday, December 2, 2009

PAIN!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 (1:30 a.m.)

Most Holy Father,

I can’t believe it! You amaze me. Here I am. At this EARLY morning hour, honestly here to thank and praise You for pain.

PAIN Lord! Really deeply seated, “I can’t find a comfortable spot” kind of pain. Pain, which I tried to ignore. Pain, that isn’t going away. Even with the use of all of my usual tactics.

Pain, Lord, that I didn’t think to bring to You until just now. You, Lord, are the Creator of pain (Genesis 3:16). Thank You Lord. Thank You that I finally had the presence of mind to stop being afraid of the pain and to bring it back to You instead.

There’s a real good chance that as long as I kept thinking of every aspect of the hurting as being physical, I might have continued just wincing and fearing the next wave. But once I associated it emotionally, BAM! I couldn’t get here with You fast enough.

Lord, thank You! Thank You that You tell us again and again throughout Your Word to “Fear not” and “Do not be afraid”. But that’s exactly where I’ve been for more than the last twelve hours. With every twinge, every position of discomfort, I’m embarrassed to confess my thoughts being much like the words attributed to King Saul by an Amalekite after the ruler’s death (2 Samuel 1:9) “‘Come and put me out of my misery,’ he begged, ‘for I am in terrible pain but life lingers on.’”

Lord, I don’t mean to take this gift of life so lightly. How I ask that You would forgive me for my tendency toward the dramatic when it comes to intense pain. Oh how I thank You for the eventual realization that this too I can bring to You. And even with those very words, a hymn inspired by Psalm 126:6 breaks through We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves

Lord, thank You so much for reminding me of Your constantly available goodness. Thank You for Your comfort that is so much more powerful than my fear. Thank You Lord, that I DO get to come to You rejoicing, even in the midst of pain! I love You Lord! Thank You. Amen.

(376 words ~ 2:40 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment