Monday, June 23, 2014

the basics

Monday, June 23, 2014 (6:37 a.m.)
Blessed Father,

I love You. Let's stick with the basics today, shall we?
(7:30 a.m.)
Oh, and I thought that would be so easy!

Yow-ouch! Not a lot of verses mention the basics as such, but the ones that do really bring it home. Hebrews 5:11-6:3 especially. Here I find A Call to Spiritual Growth. And again I cry out, “Yow-ouch!”

It's when I read Your Word and see myself that I often feel uncomfortable. Many times I am brought to eager excitement in being reminded of Your love. Your forgiveness. Your divine nature. Today it seems as though I am being whacked back to common sense.

Thank You Father that it's not all fun and games with You. There is a definite reality to Your expectations of us. Not that You would ever leave us alone in them.

Herein is where I ask Your steady guidance and accompaniment. While reading more in Hebrews 5 and 6 about the importance of spiritual maturity, I took a little side trip to Isaiah 28:7-13. The Life Recovery Bible presents this comment, “Judah's leaders refused to listen to Isaiah's message because it seemed they were being treated like babies (vs.9-10)”.

How often do I resemble Your people Father? By refusing to listen “they rejected God's saving rest.” Do I refuse to listen? Or do I still not have ears with which to hear Your voice?

Isaiah 28:13, “So the Lord will spell out His message for them again, repeating it over and over, a line at a time, in very simple words. Yet they will stumble over this straightforward message. They will be injured, trapped, and captured.”

We have choices. We can listen. Learn. Grow. Mature. Or we can refuse.

And here I turn to another basic in John 1:17. In so doing I read the Life Recovery comments for verses 1-18. “The same Power that created the universe is available to create a new life from our shattered hopes... Jesus Christ came to bring us God's unfailing love and forgiveness and to reveal God's faithfulness to us. God's forgiving grace says, 'I forgive you for your wrongs; I love and accept you freely for the person you are.' His faithfulness says, 'I will follow through on all I have promised.'”

These are the basics of which I began this hours ago. It's all You. Your love. Your power. Your strength. Your nature. How I ask You to work in me that I would choose to grow in You.

Solid food is for those who are mature, who have trained themselves to recognize the difference between right and wrong and then do what is right” (Hebrews 5:14). Grow me Father exactly as You wish.

I love You. I long to do Your will. It doesn't get more basic than that. Thank You for Your time. Use me well this day. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(490 words ~ 8:21 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment