Thursday, September 5, 2013

"they sang"


Thursday, September 5, 2013 (6:21 a.m.)
Most Holy God,

Good morning. Hello. Greetings. Hi.

Where the heck am I even going with this this morning? Maybe just clearing my head. Wanting truly to come to You with thanksgiving and praise. Yes Father. Show me this morning how to be

(7:16 a.m.)
The word I was looking for was “authentic”.

Yes Father. Hallelujah! I want to be authentic. With You. With others. With myself.

I didn't want to come to You with a pre-ordered list of phrases meant to stir You into action on my behalf. I want always to be 'real' with You. Authentic. Genuine.

Thank You for this privilege. Thank You for allowing me to struggle with praise. Thank You for reminding me always to turn to You. Even if that means getting up and doing something different. [In this particular case, a load of laundry and some much needed floor sweeping]

With help from a hymn I do not know and in the midst of helpful distraction, I came back to a point of praise. Thanksgiving.

♫In Thanksgiving, Let Us Praise Him ~ From the first bright light of morning To the last warm glow of dusk; Every breath we take is sacred, For it is God's gift to us. In thanksgiving, let us praise Him; In thanksgiving, let us sing Songs of praise and adoration To our gracious Lord and King.

Too often I forget Dearest Father. I get up and try to manufacture praise and thanksgiving. I attempt to follow some formulaic set of principles, only to fall short.

It is In the season of our plenty, In the season of our need; We will find His grace sufficient, We will find His love complete. In thanksgiving, let us praise Him... Safe within His hand that guides us, Hidden in His healing wings; Day by day His love provides us Every good and perfect thing.

This is NOT something that comes just from quoting and reciting. I must believe. Embrace. Search. Seek. Find. Follow. You.

Mm, yes. Find and follow You! Thank You Father.

Thank You for the heartfelt [authentic] desire to follow You. Right into Your Word. The book of Ezra recorded how Your people rebuilt their lives and nation [as well as Your Temple] upon their return from exile in Babylon.

After building an altar for sacrifices (Ezra 3:3), the work of rebuilding Your Temple began (v.8). Upon laying the foundation (10) the priests and Levites “took their places to praise the Lord, as prescribed by David king of Israel.

“With praise and thanksgiving they sang to the Lord: 'He is good; His love to Israel endures forever.' And all the people gave a great shout of praise to the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid” (v.11).

(10:39 a.m.)

Most Blessed and Holy Father God, You continue building on the foundation You laid in my heart. Too often I run on ahead of Your plans, constructing destructive idol worships of my own. How I ask You to slow me down to Your stride, that I would sing of Your goodness and Your enduring love forever.

I love You Father. And I thank You. Amen.
(532 words ~ 2:35 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment