Friday, September 27, 2013

instead


Thursday, September 26, 2013 (6:06 a.m.)
Awesome God,

Good morning. It looks like it might turn pretty outside. I'm inside instead. Nope. Scratch that. I went out to take a better look.

So this would be exactly what I long to talk with You about this morning. The decisions I make. Too often I think I know what I want. I work towards getting what it is I think I want, only to find that it's not necessarily the case.
(6:32 a.m.)

It's cold and cloudy and gray out there. Yet I kept going out to get a better look. Much more than a gentle breeze kicks up reminding me of the high wind advisory we had yesterday. All this talk about the weather and I wonder, where would You most like me to explore in Your Word this day?

(6:59 a.m.)

My attention span isn't holding. There was color in the sky so I went out for a better look. Father, what do You want for me to pay close attention to today?
(7:42 a.m.)

The word for the day appears to be 'instead'. You have allowed me to follow it to eight different scriptures. Each using it in comparison to something else: “trouble instead of help” (2Chronicles 28:20), “instruction instead of silver” (Proverbs 8:10)...

It's Isaiah 61 that has taken me deeper and deeper into Your Word. I've followed it over to Jesus speaking in Luke (4:16-30). And to A Call to Spiritual Growth (Hebrews 5:12-6:12). Father God, there is so much to learn. So very much to practice. And all to Your ultimate goodness and glory.

“To all who mourn in Israel He [You, Father] will give: beauty for ashes; joy instead mourning; praise instead of heaviness. For God has planted them like strong and graceful oaks for His own glory” (Isaiah 6:3). There's mention of rebuilding and repair. Revival and riches. “Instead of shame and dishonor, you shall have a double portion of prosperity and everlasting joy” (v.7).

Father, it is to You I look this morning. The sky was beautiful in many different ways. But the view is constantly changing. Your Word never fails to provide Truth. Hope. Thank You that when I feel distracted, even disappointed in my own lack of good decision making skills, I get to come before You exactly as I am.

Thank You Father that I truly prefer focusing on You instead of my own faults and failings. Thank You for Jesus. Thank You for the Holy Spirit. Use them in guiding me toward better decision making this day. I love You so very much. And I am extremely grateful for this time together. Empower and embolden me to use it well this day. I love You Father. Thank You. Amen.
(462 words ~ 8:28 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment