Sunday, December 16, 2012

choosing to believe


Sunday, December 16, 2012 (7:13 a.m.)
Awesome, Holy, Wonderful, Powerful, Mighty God,
THANK YOU! Thank You for once again providing refuge and strength (Psalm 46:1) for the weary. Last night I went to bed feeling sleepy and sad. Soon I began experiencing anger and bitterness. YOU intervened! Quickly.
Past case scenarios would have involved an exchange of harsh words met with deafening silence, tremendously hurt feelings and finally snoring. Last night I heard nothing but sweet attempts of communication, followed by an offer of a hug I promptly ignored and almost immediately a suggestion of prayer. What? In THIS household? By THIS husband?
You Lord! YOU intervened with refuge and strength like I have not known. Honest conversation took place. Even laughter. All this on a night of great national sadness.
During a time of disturbed sleep I started singing to You O Little Town of ~ Connecticut, How sad we all feel for thee I thought for sure that was the way I was going to begin our time here together.
Ah, but You are so much bigger and kinder than our sadness! You reminded me that I don't have to TRY to believe, I get to CHOOSE to believe! I get to believe in a heavenly Father who “so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16).
I'm not going to lie to You, Dearest Father [what good could that EVER possibly do!] I am horribly affected by the media coverage of the tragedy at Shady Hook School. The unspeakable suffering that took place on Thursday is beyond my comprehension. The sensationalism of the news crews I still find despicable.
Thank You Father for reminding me that my focus is to be on the Solution [YOU, Your Word, Your Son, Your promises], NOT the problem. By choosing to believe You are holy (Revelation 4:8, see also Revelation Song) I get to offer You gratitude and praise. There is no other way I could even begin to muster up any form of thanksgiving under these circumstances (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
Because of Your holiness, Your refuge and strength in times of trouble, Your promise to know the plans You have for us ~ plans for good and not for evil ~ plans to give us a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11) and Your Truth as spelled out in 1 Corinthians 13:13 (“There are three things that remain – faith, hope, and love – and the greatest of these is love”) I get to continue choosing to believe in You. In Your goodness. Your glory. Your power. Your strength. Your Promises.
Thank You God. Thank You for BEING our Hope, our very present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1). Thank You Father. I love You. Keep reminding me that I must continue choosing to believe. Thank You. Amen.
(481 words ~ 8:10 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment