Friday, April 22, 2011

sacrifice

Good Friday, April 22, 2011 (7:17 a.m.)

Loving Lord,

Today marks the day that You made the ultimate sacrifice for the benefit of mankind. I can’t even begin to imagine all it took for You to endure the seemingly unendurable.

I’ve been reading this morning of Your willingness and Your sacrifice. The sacrifice I can’t fathom, but am truly grateful.

Lord Jesus, I didn’t plan to be reading in Hebrews this morning. In fact my thoughts are spinning as I am referred back to Genesis and the original sacrifice. In chapter three, verse 21, animals were slain to provide skins to clothe the couple who brought sin into the world.

Coming back over to Hebrews 10, I read more of Your sacrifice and how it truly paid the price once for all. As I continue hungering and thirsting to know more, I read backward in this book. Chapter 9 titles You as “the Perfect Sacrifice” and lists more of the old rules of worship. Chapter 8 names You as “Our High Priest” and tells what all that entails. Chapter 7 describes You as “like Melchizedek” which takes me to Psalm 110 and Genesis 14:18-20 to learn even more about how Your sacrifice ties it all together.

And throughout the reading and the meditating and the peacefulness I get to experience because of Your great sacrifice on my behalf, a tune continues to ebb and flow within me. Finally recognizing and looking it up I get to sing to You and I love You for the cross I’m overwhelmed by the mystery I love You for the cost That Jesus You would do this for me When You were broken, You were beaten, You were punished, I go free You were wounded and rejected In Your mercy – I am healed

Lord, this Truth is so very hard to wrap my head around! Instead of even trying to understand it any deeper, I truly just want to accept and embrace Your sacrifice on my behalf. To sing wholeheartedly and with such appreciation I will love You for the cross And I will love You for the cost Man of sufferings Bringer of my peace You came into a world of shame and paid the price we could not pay Death that brought me life Blood that brought me home… By Your wounds I am healed… For the cross I thank You Oh Lord, for the cross…

Yes Lord. Thank You for Your sacrifice of the cross. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(419 words ~ 9:06 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment