Monday, September 23, 2019

where blessings abound

Monday, September 23, 2019 (6:27 a.m.)
Blessed God,

Thank You.

Talk with me this morning about “faith, hope, and love” (1 Corinthians 13:13). Or the change of the seasons. Or whatever You’d rather have me learn. Yes Lord, I’d much prefer to have You lead and guide me.

And guide me You did! Straight to 1 Corinthians 13:13. Over to The Passion Translation. Where blessings abound.

Blessed Father, I don’t even know how to contain my excitement! And why would I even want to try to contain it?

Three verses are spelled out here. Complete with four footnotes worth copying. Lord Jesus, thank You!

The apostle Paul wrote this letter “to encourage the believers living in Corinth to resolve their problems and honor God.” Oh that we would Dear Lord.

“For now we see but a faint reflection of riddles and mysteries as though reflected in a mirror, but one day we will see face-to-face. My understanding is incomplete now, but one day I will understand everything, just as everything about me has been fully understood. Until then, there are three things that remain: faith, hope, and love - yet love surpasses them all. So above all else, let love be the beautiful prize for which you run” (1 Corinthians 13:12-14:1a).

Riddles and mysteries. Incomplete understanding. All surpassing love. And the beautiful prize for which we run. Such poetry Lord!

It’s the third footnote that I copy here. One that I will print out and prayerfully be able to commit to my heart.

“Faith and hope both spring from love, which makes love the greatest virtue of all. Faith and hope are temporary, but love is eternal. Paul gives us ten characteristics of divine love in this chapter. Love (1) is patient under stress, (2) is kind at all times, (3) is generous, not envious, (4) is humble, not self-promoting, (5) is never rude, (6) does not manipulate by using shame,[OUCH!] (7) is not irritable or easily offended, (8) celebrates honesty, (9) does not focus on what is flawed, and (10) is loyal to the end.”

Oh Your goodness, Blessed God! Your perfect, incredible goodness! To have love spelled out in such detail is so much more than helpful. Empower me in loving as You originally intended. It is truly the desire of my heart.

I love You Father. I long to live this day exactly as You wish. Use me. Do all You must to this end. Thank You Father. I love You. Amen.

(424 words ~ 8:06 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment