Thursday, June 28, 2018

the big smile


Thursday. June 28, 2018 (6:24 a.m.)
Blessed Holy God,

Good morning. The thanks and praise appear stalled.

And here comes the big smile! Thank You Father. Praise You Jesus. Again, You do not disappoint.

It’s when I turn to You in honest, open, willingness that I have chances of being delightfully surprised. Searching translations of Your Word using “stalled” I came across Proverbs 15:17 in the American Standard Version.

“Better is a dinner of herbs, where love is, Than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.” What? I know this verse. With different words.

Oh… I get it! Stalled. As in “a fattened ox”. One that’s been kept in a stall. NOT one that isn’t moving. Another big smile as I consider how often during the day You give me reasons to be amused. Thank You Father.

I get to sit here reading and agreeing with the various ways of saying this same Truth:

“Better a meal of greens with love than a plump calf with hate” (Common English Bible).

“A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred” (Contemporary English Version).

“It is better to eat a little where there is love than to eat a lot where there is hate” (Easy-to-Read Version).

“A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate” (New Living Translation).

Mm, and this one from The Passion Translation. “It’s much better to have a kind, loving family, even with little, than to have great wealth with nothing but hatred and strife all around you.”

Thank You Father for the reminders You give us of what is truly important. Yes. I am blessed to be able to consider Your Word as Truth. The more I read, the bigger my smile.

“A glad heart makes a happy face; a broken heart crushes the spirit” (v. 13).

And look how much the same sentiment is reworded in verse 30. “A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health.”

Your Scriptures even tell us how to change our ways of thinking. Our minds are to feed on Your Truth. Psalm 119:72 tells us, “Your law is more valuable than millions in gold and silver.” We are to love and study Your Word.

Thank You for providing us with the opportunities to come together to learn more. Philippians 4:8 commands us to “think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”

Therein lies the reason for my aforementioned stall. My thoughts throughout the night interrupted my sleep. Waking not feeling rested I had nothing to offer You but the truth. Thank You for accepting that and sending me more deeply into Your Word.

I love You Father. I look to You to provide the Truth I need. And therein the big smile that leads to a glad heart.

Thank You. Praise You. Use this tired, too-much-time-in-the-sun body to Your good and to Your glory. Guide and direct me exactly as You know is best. Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(530 words ~ 7:29 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment