Sunday, August 16, 2015

good (n.) works (v.)

Friday, August 7, 2015 (5:58 a.m.)
Blessed, Holy God,

I don't know all I think I know. There are things I can't find. Ideas I think are great and aren't. Wonders. Thoughts. Plans. Hopes. Dreams. Talk with me this morning about Your best for me, would You?

My earliest waking thoughts this morning focused on two words. A noun many times used as an adjective. And a verb often seen as a noun. Good (n.) works (v.). Is there something here You want me to take with me into this day?

Blessed God, I love You. I long to live as You would have me live. Words. Thoughts. Ideas. Impressions. Another glimpse of goodness. YOUR goodness.

Father, my heart gets excited with my own understanding of where we could possibly go in Your Word here this morning. Work in me to unravel the point You are getting to.

The NIV Compact Concordance cites this passage of Scripture for 1 Corinthians 10:33. “For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many.” Mm. Yes. Please.

I read the surrounding verses to get a feel for what the apostle Paul is sharing with his audience. The Illustrated Bible Handbook subtitles the section, (10:23-11:1) “Freedom to be Used Constructively”. Father, I want You to use me constructively.

When I cower in fear of making mistakes I am not living freely. You know Your plans for me (Jeremiah 29:11). Yesterday I read the importance of including the verses that follow when quoting this section. “In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me” (vs. 12-13).

We are to pray. Seek. Find. Hmm. Interesting. A Fruitful Life's calender page for August 5 says, “When we look for goodness in others, we will find it.” Tune me in today Dearest Father to remembering that good (n.) works (v.). It's something I often and easily forget.

I love You. Use me this day to truly be a blessing to others. Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(347 words ~ 7:32 a.m.)


No comments:

Post a Comment