Tuesday, March 1, 2011

providence

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 (6:58 a.m.)

Most Holy God,

Wow! Beautiful! Beautiful sky. Beautiful words. Beautiful sentiment. Beautiful You! Thank You Lord.

Thank You for beautiful rest. And even with all that, the word for today is NOT ‘beautiful’. It’s providence.

Teach me about Your providence Dearest Lord. I’m not real familiar with the word and all it describes. But I am intrigued!

I first came across it just now in a quote from Augustine. “Trust the past to the mercy of God, the present to His love, and the future to His providence.” Trust. You. Past. Present. Future. Mercy. Love. These are all words with which I have a vague understanding. Providence is fairly unfamiliar to me.

Job understood it though Lord. According to the New International Version, chapter ten, verse twelve. In crying out to You about his then current circumstances he told You, “You gave me life and showed me kindness, and in Your providence watched over my spirit.” He knew he had been in Your protective care.

I know that too Lord. I look around me. I recognize blessings that come directly from life in You. “Then, because you belong to Christ Jesus, God will bless you with peace that no one can completely understand. And this peace will control the way you think and feel.” (Philippians 4:7 Contemporary English Version) comes immediately to mind.

Reading various versions of the verse from Job I am thrilled at the degree of honesty with which we are allowed to approach You. Lord, how I thank You that we truly can ‘trust the past to Your mercy, the present to Your love and the future to Your providence’. Providence – the protective care of God. Mm. Yes. Lord. Sign me up for trusting You with ALL I am. All I feel. All I think. And all I have. Loving You with all my heart, soul, mind and strength (Mark 12:30). Keep growing and building me Lord. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(333 words ~ 8:45 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment