Monday, March 7, 2011

1 Corinthians 13:13

Monday, March 7, 2011 (6:34 a.m.)

Loving Lord,

It’s a real slow start here with You this morning. I keep going back and forth trying to find the meaning of the song It’s A Family Affair and a better understanding of 1Corinthians 13:13. Now which of these is of greater value? I’m going with what I can find in Your Word.

So turning again to You Lord, I ask that You would guide and direct my thinking. Maybe I don’t even want better understanding. Perhaps what I’m seeking is better obedience.

Lord, I am confessing to You right now there are many things I know are better for me than the choices I am currently making. It’s like some ineffective little game of childish rebellion. And even in saying that to You Lord, I realize that I have once again fallen into the trap of setting myself up for failure. I keep thinking of the things I want to do and doing something else instead. Isn’t this exactly what the apostle Paul describes in Romans 7:21? “It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong?”

Here he goes on to speak of the struggle within each of us AND the glorious truth that it’s not up to me to buckle down and try harder to do what it is I know is best.

Oh Your goodness Lord! Your great and glorious goodness! For most of the night I struggled with how I know I am not doing the things that are healthiest for me. I chided and scolded myself to no avail. Confessing it all to You, turning in Your Word and reading more about this sinful nature of which Paul so knowingly speaks excites me to no end!

The Cotton Patch Gospel interprets Paul’s words, “The desire to do right is there, but the deed, no. I simply don’t carry through on my good intentions; worse I fall into the habit of doing the bad things I don’t intend.”

But we’re not left here to our own devices! Lord God how I thank You for the documented struggles of others. In verses 24-25 Paul continues, “I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn’t that the real question? The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.”

The beginning of chapter eight describes the freedom we are offered in the Holy Spirit. “For the power of the life-giving Spirit – and this power is mine through Christ Jesus – has freed me from the vicious circle of sin and death” (Romans 8:2). It’s YOUR power I need! Not more of my own.

And just exactly where does 1Corinthians 13:13 come into play with all this? It is only because of the faith, hope and love that You promise will remain when all other gifts cease and disappear that I came to You this morning in the first place.

You are good Dear Lord. You are holy. You are all the things that I am not. Your Word tells me I am made in Your image (Genesis 1:27). And I choose to believe that. So with all the faith, hope and love for You that I have, I ever so humbly ask to be included in the blessing Paul left with the Corinthians at the very end of his second letter (13:14). “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” Thank You most blessed Lord. I love You. Amen.

(652 words ~ 8:35 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment