Sunday, March 6, 2011

love

Sunday, March 6, 2011 (6:27 a.m.)

Dearest Lord,

I love You. And that is exactly what I want to talk with You about this morning. Love. Your love for us. Our love for You. Loving one another and ourselves.

Paul described it for the Corinthians in his first letter to them. Looking in the Subject Index of the back of The Illustrated Bible Handbook, I see that there is far more to this discussion than just a couple oft-quoted verses.

Lord, thank You that You love us so much that You provide so many opportunities for us to learn what it is to truly love and be loved by You.

Well, isn’t this just about the biggest surprise of the day! I thought I was coming to look more deeply at 1Corinthians 13:4-7. Yet here I am instead in John’s first letter to an unnamed group of early churches.

Lord, You are amazing! You take what I think I’m going to do and completely lead me somewhere else. Thank You Lord. Thank You for never leaving me alone to my own devices. Thank You too for helping me heed Your guidance.

This short (five chapter) letter is jam-packed with important information for each of us. There’s an “Invitation to Joy” (1John 1:1-4). And three separate and distinct calls: one is to “Walk in the Light” (1:5-2:29). Another is to “Walk in Love” (3:1-4:19). And the third is to “Walk by Faith” (5:1-21).

Lord, I have to leave right now to go prepare to worship and adore You at two different services. As we have just begun to scratch the surface of You teaching me what it is to truly love You with all my heart, soul, mind and strength and others as myself (Mark 12:30-31) I ask You to come along with me. Go before to show the way, behind to encourage, beside as my Friend, above to watch over and within to give me peace.

I do indeed love You so very much. Keep working to perfect Your love in and through me Lord. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(351 words ~ 7:31 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment