Saturday, March 12, 2011

God is love

Saturday, March 12, 2011 (6:45 a.m.)

Blessed Lord,

Good morning. I love You. Where do we start this morning? How about with “Thank You!” Your presence surrounded us yesterday. We rather effortlessly accomplished quite a bit around here and I am grateful.

Lord, You are so good. So patient. So kind. Look! The first two descriptions of love (1Corinthians 13:4). Yes Lord. Speak to me this morning about You being love.

Ouch, Lord! I know I asked You to speak to me about You being love, but I didn’t know You would use my own request to prick my conscience as You have.

I went straight to 1 John 4 as it seems I was directed. I paid particular attention to verses 8 and 16 where it says quite plainly “God is love”. I was feeling pretty confident. Maybe even a little puffed up in my thinking. I knew where to turn. I was reading the words songs sing about. We are to love one another. Sure. I’ve got this.

And then I realized. No I don’t. I love those it’s easy for me to love. Those who agree with my way of thinking. Those who don’t hurt my feelings. Other than that? Not so much.

Forgive me Lord. I confess to not going out of my way to hold a grudge, but not completely letting it go either. There are people from my past that I tolerate. I put up with them. I avoid some and refuse to see others. Not love. And sadly for me verse eight says it very plainly, “God is love, and anyone who doesn’t love others has never known Him.” Ouch!

Normally I would say that I need to work on this, but instead I am asking YOU to do the work in me. And through me. Avoidance isn’t love. Tolerance isn’t love. Putting up with someone isn’t love. YOU are love!

In the past I would have jumped right in to trying to set things straight with these strained relationships. Here, instead, I am turning to You Lord. I don’t know the first steps to take in repairing, rebuilding, restoring love with certain people. So I come to You. Just as I am. Sinful. Convicted. Willing. Waiting. Asking. You are love Lord. Guide, direct and work through me to show Your love to others. I love You. Thank You. Amen.

(395 words ~ 7:56 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment