Thursday, September 6, 2018

Standing...


Thursday, September 6, 2018 (6:31 a.m.)
Blessed, Holy God,

Here again I turn to You. Loving You. Wanting You. The Bee-Gee’s song ♪Tragedy♪ just started singing to me, but the lyrics don’t fit. Instead I turn to the hymn I found yesterday in the most roundabout way.

Having sung ♪Standing in the Need of Prayer♪ for much of the morning I looked for it in The Celebration Hymnal. In its place I found ♪Standing on the Promises♪. How appropriate.

Most Holy God, I DO stand on Your promises! And I want others to as well. Looking up the referenced Scripture (2 Peter 1:4) I read on to the end of the letter. And my prayer reverts back to yesterday’s early morning cry, “Please. Please. Please.”

Blessed, Holy God, we live in this fallen world with all its traps and deceptions. You are such a good and patient Father.

Reading more about Peter’s second letter, I am referred over to Jude. Here I read, “Jude urged his readers to stand up for the truth and not fall back into their old way of life.” And just like that comes another hymn. ♪Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus♪

Oh most blessed, loving God how I ask You to continue Your holy work in, with, by, through and for me. My heart is a puddle of care for others. Empower and embolden me to truly live Your Word.

Here I turn to the verse associated with ♪Stand Up♪ (1 Corinthians 16:13) and read on to the next (14). “Be on guard. Stand true to what you believe. Be courageous. Be strong. And everything you do must be done with love.”

Holy, Holy God and Father, how I pray your blessings and keepings on us. The Life Recovery Bible comment for this section (16:5-18) sums me up so well. “Throughout this letter Paul encouraged the Corinthians in their recovery and spiritual growth. In closing Paul revealed his love and trust in them by making personal requests. There is always a balance between caring for the hurts and needs of others and being able to ask for what we need as well. Healthy relationships are characterized by this kind of balanced give-and-take.”

I have been asking You to empower me in the tools You provide for healthy relationships. Continue Your work in equipping me to use them well. Standing firm. Standing in need. Standing on Your promises.

Oh how I love You Blessed Father. Trust You. Need You. Ask You. Do all You must for Your good and Your glory. Thank You. I love You. Amen.

(440 words ~ 7:58 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment