Monday, September 3, 2018

forgive to be forgiven


Sunday, September 2, 2018 (7:50 a.m.)
Awesome, Holy God,

I am behaving badly. Withdrawn. Unwilling. Terse. Polite. Courteous. Civil. Loving? Not so much.

I have some bones to pick. Issues that remain unresolved. I want to be heard. Taken seriously. I continue holding fast and strong to my own hurt feelings.

I want to ask You to forgive me, but I know I must forgive to be forgiven (Matthew 6:15). And I’m not there yet.
(8:39 a.m.)

Thank You Father. I said it out loud. I admitted to being a brat. And immediately my heart softened. Thank You Father.

Thank You. I don’t have to behave badly. I get to choose. Your Word reminds us that we get to choose between life and death (Deuteronomy 30:19-20). Thank You that by choosing to forgive we truly are set free to Your love.

As I continue scouring Your Word I again find the hope and joy that only comes from following Your Truth. Thank You Father.

A comment in The Life Recovery Bible has this to say in Matthew “6:12, 14-15 True forgiveness is an essential part of any recovery program. We often have difficulty getting past our anger and bitterness toward those who have mistreated or abused us. However, asking God’s forgiveness for our personal shortcomings and sins is hypocritical unless we are willing to forgive others. We forfeit forgiveness from God by denying forgiveness to others, to the detriment of our recovery program. This is not only selfish but also self-destructive.”

Oh, Your Truth! You provide us all we need to obey Your Truth.

Continue Your work in me Blessed God. I lean so often toward selfishness and self-destruction. It is only in and through You that I have any hope of practicing forgiveness.

I love You Father. As I work toward forgiving, thank You that You are faithful to forgive me. Thank You Father. Amen.
(327 words ~ 9:28 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment