Saturday, February 3, 2018

"something quick"


Saturday, February 3, 2018 (6:15 a.m.)
Holy God,

I cut our time together short the other day. Mid word actually. I was having quite the inspiring, feel good moments when I just up and left to take care of something quick.

Something quick and I’d be right back. I even left my Bible open. Fully expecting to come right back. That was two days ago.

I tried yesterday. One thing chasing after another kept me from succeeding. And now? Here I am. Smiling. Grateful. Hopeful. Asking… where do we go in Your Word this morning?

Searching “something quick” has taken me again to Proverbs 31. Reaching for my previously left open Bible I immediately look for the phrase that stood out to to me days ago.

A comment in The Life Recovery Bible [Philippians] “4:15-20…mutual respect and sharing - important qualities in any strong relationship”. Those were the words I was planning on coming back to the other day. Words that somewhat reflect “A Wife of Noble Character” described in Proverbs 31:10-31.

I have tears here Father. Tears because I long for this Truth to be thought true of me.

The Message begins this section “[Hymn to a Good Wife] A good woman is hard to find, and worth more than diamonds. Her husband trusts her without reserve, and never has reason to regret it. Never spiteful, she treats him generously all her life long.”

And there the comparison ends. Thank You Father that this is a depiction of an ideal wife. Not an actual woman able to measure up to these ideal standards.

Thank You for the smiles that come rather easily as I consider how far away I am from ‘shopping for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoying knitting and sewing’. ‘Up before dawn’? Often. ‘Preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day’? Not as much as one would hope.

Looking, buying, planting… dresses for work, eager to get started. Yes. No. No. Not always. Sometimes.

And here come the tears again. Because the Truth is so heartfelt within me. I long for it to be true of me.

“She senses the worth of her work, is in no hurry to call it quits for the day. She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth, diligent in homemaking [um, no!]. She’s quick to assist anyone in need, reaches out to help the poor.”

And herein lies the rub. I like to think I am. I try. And I fail more often than succeed. I have conditions Father. There’s usually nothing free to my giving.

“Her clothes are well-made and elegant” NOT! “and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.” I like the New Living Translation here. “She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs with no fear of the future.”

As I continue with the practice of “I trust You Jesus” this is becoming truer than ever before. Let what follows become even more so. “When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, and she always says it kindly.” Yes, Blessed God! If I take one thing with me into this day, let it be worthwhile and kind words.

Provide everything I need in “keep[ing] an eye on everyone in her household, and keep[ing] them all busy and productive.” Let it truly come to pass that “Her children respect and bless her; her husband joins in with words of praise: ‘Many women have done wonderful things, but you’ve outclassed them all!’”

Yes Holy Father, how I most sincerely ask that when all is said and done the one thing that is said about me is that I loved, trusted and feared You. Above all.

Work on my ability toward mutual respect and sharing this day, won’t You? Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(636 words ~ 7:47 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment