Wednesday, April 12, 2017

kenosis

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 (7:00 a.m.)
Awesome God,

Thank You.

This morning I am reading in Daniel (9:4). Waiting for You to speak to me. I remember to take deep breaths. Focus on Your goodness.

Holy Week.
(8:03 a.m.)
Another deep breath. Followed by more awe.

Holy God, thank You. There is so much I don't know or understand about Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. I get the smallest bit of information [on Palm Sunday I learned Simon the leper is said to be dad to Lazarus, Martha, and Mary] and I realize again just how very much I don't know.

Like the walking distance between Bethany and Jerusalem. 42 miles. Over 14 hours. Things I've never really wondered before.

I'm used to considering Christmas and the understanding I have of those traditions. Easter has always seemed to fall through the cracks for me. Why is this I wonder. Maybe I want to avoid the idea of Your pain and suffering. Hmm...

Yes. The Truth of You having been revered on Sunday and betrayed on Thursday hurts my heart. I literally just turned my head so I wouldn't have to look at the hymns written of Your suffering and death.

Jesus, thank You for Your kenosis. Your renouncing of Your own divine nature. Philippians 2:6-7 describe Your sacrifice. “Though He was God, He did not demand and cling to His rights as God. He made Himself nothing; He took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form.”

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff that would keep me from looking hard into Your pain. I'm so much more inclined to be drawn toward the warm fuzzies. You know? Easter bunny, chocolate rabbits, peeps, confetti egg decorating.

Betrayal. Pain. Suffering. Death. Realities I usually work to avoid. Teach me Jesus to be faithful in following You. Especially this Holy Week. Empower me in looking hard at Your emptying of Yourself (kenosis).

I love You. I take Your willingness to suffer and die a painful sinner's death on my behalf so very much for granted. Forgive me I pray. Work in me this day. I love You. Thank You. Amen.
(358 words ~ (9:14 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment