Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"Do not be afraid!"

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 (8:04 a.m.)
Am I avoiding You?

The question was just asked of me. I don't think so. Still I have yet to come around to being excited to be here with You. Talk to me “Dad”. Tell me, is it the mess? I'm sure it's the clutter. And the changes. And all the stuff I have left all over the place.

Okay. With that start towards honesty, let me tell You that I'm ashamed of myself. Truly! There are things I don't need, yet I don't part with them. I question myself. Doubt that I have the ability to eat this elephant we have allowed to overtake our living environment. Not only do I not have a plan, I resist making one.

There is fear of disappointment. Is that what this is? Fear. Fear of what? Letting go? Mm, yeah. NOW we're on to something! If I get serious about this, I have to be willing to change.

And see? All of this back and forth going on in my head is being met with Truth from Your Word. Yesterday I put into action the substance of Philippians 4:13. When met with a situation that I absolutely was unable to do on my own; I closed my eyes, breathed deeply and kept repeating, “All things in Christ. All things in Christ. I can do all things in Christ who gives me strength.”

Thank You for reminding me. Thank You for giving me verses and phrases for every single time I get scared. I do not HAVE to be afraid! I can if I want to. But I don't HAVE to! I get to choose. Thank You. Thank You!

Yesterday I copied three pages of different ways of saying the Truth found in Deuteronomy 31:8. It took quite some time to whittle six pages of print down to only three. This morning I look back at the end result grateful for having taken the time.

Blessed Father/Dearest Dad, thank You for this one stop shopping of various ways of being reminded not to be afraid. I confess fear right now. Fear of hoping. Fear of failing. Fear of the unknown. Fear of disappointing. Fear. Plain and simple. It's fear that keeps me bound. Fear that doesn't let me hope. Or try. Or succeed. Or fail. Fear that keeps me going through the motions of what is safe and secure. Not venturing out. Not changing the status quo.

THAT's why I'm here this morning. I am asking You for courage. Courage to change the things I can! Set our pace Dearest Father. Go before us as the Expanded Bible says You will.

“The Lord Himself will go before you. He will be with you; He will not leave [fail] you or forget [abandon; forsake] you. Don't be afraid and don't worry.”

See? You don't let me down! Taking that extra minute to make sure that it was Moses speaking to Joshua, I find that it was the people of Israel he was talking to. It wasn't until verse twenty-three that “he charged Joshua (son of Nun) to be strong and courageous and said to him, 'You must bring the people of Israel into the land the Lord promised them; for the Lord says, “I will be with you.”'”

Not only do I find hope and strength from reading these ancient words, there's a comment at the bottom of The Life Recovery Bible page.

“This verse contains an important message for rebuilders. In spite of the difficulty of the task, we are told: 'be strong and courageous.' The basis for this strength and courage is the marvelous promise: 'I will be with you.' As we face the desperate challenges of recovery, we can find strength and courage in this message. Our God is a God who specializes in overcoming giant challenges (see 1 Samuel 17 ).”

And the blessings just keep coming! Thanks “Dad”. Turning to see 1 Samuel 17, I read of David defeating Goliath. Thinking of the giant mess I have created around here I take great comfort in the two comments at the bottom of this page in Scripture.

17:32-37 “David was confident that God would deliver him from Goliath's wrath, no matter how improbable it seemed. David was a young shepherd boy, armed with sticks and stones. Goliath was a giant of a man, armed with a great sword and spear. In human terms, David didn't have a chance; but with God, he couldn't lose. God is able to provide victory to all who are willing to trust Him. We all face giants in our lives, problems too big for us to face alone. But even when the odds are stacked against us, we can't lose if God is on our side.”

17:45-47 “As David squared off against Goliath, he knew that in human terms, he didn't have a chance. His courage came from his recognition that the battle belonged to God. Like David, we are helpless in the battles we face without God's intervention. But with God, the victory is certain.”

And the Truth is, I've seen You work! Marvelously. Spectacularly. Why would I chose fear over faith? It is the solid faith we have in You and Your Word that has us celebrating our married life this day. It is only You and all You have done in and through each of us that allows us to truly be more in love with You and one another than we were all those years ago.

Daddy God, thank You. Take my fear and make something wonderful out of it. Do in and through, by and for me all those things I cannot possibly do myself. BE the God and Dad of my life that I need You to be. Empower and enable me to love YOU far more than anything else.

Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(980 words ~ 9:06 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment