Sunday, October 20, 2013

no-mad / g(l)ad-about


Sunday, October 20, 2013 (8:29 a.m.)
Blessed, Holy Father God,

Guide and direct me this morning I pray. There are lots of thoughts running through my head. Please settle them down to thanking and praising You.

Thank You right now for extra sleep. Sleep deep enough for me to be aware of dreaming. Thank You for the rest that generates.
(9:35 a.m.)

Father, I have spent an hour reading in Your Word. Thinking. Pondering. Being amazed by the work You do.

Last week You gave me a gift. I used it yesterday. It began as an attempt at being clever. Given the amount of traveling we do, I referred to myself as a 'nomad/gadabout'. Upon further contemplation I became aware and excited over the prospect of truly becoming 'NO-mad' and 'glad-about' various things in general.

Throughout this week I've given much thought and some practice to the sincere desire of not getting mad and instead being glad about most things that have come along. How I thank You for the quick reminder last evening just as I was in the very midst of becoming irritated.

Right as I was mentally building a case of discontent came the reminder that I am not to be mad, and I instead asked myself how I could be glad-about the incident instead. Father, this is further evidence of You continuing Your good work in me. Thank You!

Thank You that as I looked in Your Word this morning for a verse to substantiate this Truth, I came across Philippians 2:18. As I read Paul's words to his ministry supporters in Philippi, I again jumped to a wrong conclusion.

“You should be glad about this in the same way. Be glad with me!” Yes. Of course. Paul wanted his followers to be glad about something with him. Find out what that something was. Verse 17.

“Even if my lifeblood is to be poured out like wine as a sacrifice for your faith, I have great reason to celebrate with all of you.” Paul was ready to die for what You taught him. And that wasn't his end thought, he encouraged his followers to be glad about it with him.

Father, I so very humbly ask You to keep working Your Word into and throughout my being. The Life Recovery Bible comment tells me, “As we get to know God by reading the Bible and spending time with Him in prayer, He can begin to transform us from the inside out.”

You are doing exactly that! I recognized it again yesterday precisely as I remembered that I truly am to be 'no-mad' and instead 'g(l)ad-about'. Thank You for the various ways You continue working Your salvation into our lives.

A Theology in Brief in the Illustrated Bible Handbook presents “Salvation as revealed in the New Testament has past, present, and future aspects. We have been saved, are being saved, and will be saved. Salvation in each of these senses rests on the death and resurrection of Jesus and is ours through trust in Him.”

With this Truth as the very basis of my salvation, I HAVE to continue finding ways to be glad about the things that normally would have made me mad. Thank You for making this aspect of Your Truth crystal clear to me. Continue Your work in reminding me every single time I am likely to forget it.

Thank You for Your love, Your time, Your sacrifice and Your Truth. Help me use them well this day. I love You. Thank You. Amen.
(590 words ~ 10:46 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment