Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day


Tuesday, November 6, 2012 (5:31 a.m.)
Blessed Father God,
It is Election Day for the United States of America. “One nation under God”. Father, how I pray for us as a nation.
It was only yesterday when I saw “U.S.” as “us”. I do not see much evidence of “We the people of the Untied...” See? Even there, a typo draws attention to what we as a nation have become. We seem so much more untied than united these days.
Usually I would retreat to being afraid for our nation. Scared of what more corruption there is to come. Wring my hands, while quietly crying out “Woe is me.” This morning, instead, I turn to You. To Your Word. Asking, seeking, knocking (Matthew 7:7) that Your will be done for the good of Your people.
It's a very scary time for U.S./us as a nation. What are we to do any time we are afraid? Come to You. We are to “fear not”, “be of good courage”, “do not be afraid”... That is exactly what I am doing Dearest Father.
I am here asking You to once again bless this nation. Make us/U.S. all that You want us/U.S. to be.
The Life Recovery Bible tells that Your prophet Malachi preached to a nation of backsliders. People had fallen into old, sinful patterns. “As a result, they were suffering the consequences of economic depression, poor crops, and the attacks of foreign marauders. Family life had gone to pieces, and divorce was rampant. Their religious life could be characterized as cold and empty formalism.” This all seems very familiar to me!
Ah, but there is hope as he tells of the coming of Your Promised One. “For He is like a blazing fire refining precious metal” (Malachi 3:2b). “Though you have scorned my laws from earliest time, yet you may still return to me... Come and I will forgive you” (v.7).
Yes Blessed Father God. Forgive us (U.S.) for we HAVE sinned against You and all Your holiness. Your Word is clear. “You have robbed me of the tithes and offerings due to me. And so the awesome curse of God is cursing you, for your whole nation has been robbing me” (v.8b-9).
Yet, again You provide our way out “Bring all... Try it! Let me prove it to you!... And all the nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land sparkling with happiness. These are the promises of the Lord Almighty. Your attitude toward Me has been proud and arrogant...” (v.10-13a).
We are not the first of Your nations to stray. “But for you who fear my name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in His wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture” (4:2). Your promise to send Your Son includes Your warning as well.
“See I will send you another prophet like Elijah... His preaching will bring fathers and children together again, to be of one mind and heart, for they will know that if they do not repent, I will come and utterly destroy their land” (4:5-6).
Holy God, on this election day, with so very much at stake, how I pray Your blessings, forgiveness, mercies and grace on Your people. Let us (U.S.) vote responsibly and serve You well, all the while remembering “There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power” (Romans 13:1b).
Dearest Father, hear the prayers of this nation as we 'humble ourselves and pray, and search for You, and turn from our wicked ways' (2Chronicles 7:14a). 'Hear us (U.S.) from heaven and forgive our sins and heal our land' (14b).
This I pray so desperately. Thank You Father. Amen.
(622 words ~ 7:14 a.m.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment