Thursday, November 22, 2012

conviction


Thanksgiving Thursday, November 22, 2012 (6:48 a.m.)
Most Holy and Loving Father God,
Thank You. Thank You for being our Heavenly Father. Thank You for sending Your Son AND Your Word to teach us.
Most Heavenly Father, I had another dream about Your Truth. I was in an extremely frightening, life threatening situation and I stood firm (2Thessalonians 2:15-17) and prayed for my enemy (Matthew 5:43-48). It was amazing! I watched as a spiritual entity came in and bound the aggressors. I know it was 'only a dream'. But it was based on Your Truth and I am still AGOG about it!
(7:49 a.m.)
Whoa! How quickly AGOG switches to conviction. I didn't expect to go here. I thought it was all going to be about standing firm. No, no. You're right (as always!). Loving Our Enemies. Ouch!
There is a name I pencilled in to this section of my Life Recovery Bible many years ago. A name that to this very day represents bitterness and resentments on my part. I thought I had forgiven. I believed if I ignored circumstances long enough it would all just wash away. It hasn't. The anger and hurt are still there. Fresh. Just like all those years hadn't passed. But they have. And I have yet to love this person.
Father God, You know much about forgiveness.
(10:29 a.m.)
Thank You for teaching it to us. With my thoughts continuing to go back to the name I printed in my Bible, I have continued praying Your blessings (not my wrath) upon this person throughout this morning.
Even as I have substituted a missing spice to a pumpkin pie, I've been able to branch out of the 'must have' frame of mind that keeps me from exploring other alternatives.
Father, YOU have just provided me an alternative solution to the insanity that usually permeates every holiday get together we attempt. The desire to TRULY “keep it supremely simple” has been with me for years. This year Blessed Father, I ask that YOUR love (for our enemies) will reign supreme.
The commentary for Matthew 5:43-48 says, “When we find ourselves able to love our enemies, we can be sure that we are making progress in recovery. Loving our enemies doesn't mean we have to like them, but it does mean we must forgive them and desire what is best for them. If we harbor anger and bitterness toward others, we only hurt ourself; such emotions keep us from making progress in our recovery.”
Father, thank You for loving us so very much (John 3:16) that You truly want only the best for us. And in this case Your best is that I love and forgive this particular person from my past. Only through standing firm on Your teachings is that even remotely possible.
Thank You for such an awesome way to begin this Thanksgiving Day. Thank You for giving us Your Son that we may learn, practice and be healed by His perfect and unconditional love. Thank You Father that we get to come before You with our heartfelt thanksgivings. Thank You. I love You. Amen.
(521 words ~ 11:05 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment