Tuesday, April 10, 2012

still reading

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 (12:57 p.m.)

Incredibly Wonderful God,

I’m sill reading Colossians 3. Especially verses 12-14 and 18-21. It’s much like the husband has told me through the years I tend to read most of that with which I agree.

Quoting The Message version here I do so very much agree. “So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline.”

Just the thought of being chosen by You is amazing in itself! Having a wardrobe picked out by You? Priceless!

“Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense.” These are words that have been used to describe me in the past. I’ve always said it’s because the describer hadn’t seen or known the ‘real’ me. Now I’ve come to the place where I want to believe that it’s because You have done this mighty work in me and that I truly AM these things!

“Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it.” What do you think Father? Is this something I remember to put on frequently? Oh how I hope You think I do.

These next four verses I have believed for very many years. “Wives, understand and support your husbands by submitting to them in ways that honor the Master.” Again, just yesterday, the husband re-uttered the phrase that truly righted our relationship almost 19 years ago because I willingly went along with what he thought to be best. “Thank you for trusting me.” Wow! Your Word does not fail us!

“Husbands, go all out in love for your wives. Don’t take advantage of them.” Is it true, or just my own belief that the message to wives comes before Your words to the husbands on purpose?

“Children, do what your parents tell you. This delights the Master to no end.” And now the verse I’m wondering if I can come out from under. “Parents, don’t come down too hard on your children or you’ll crush their spirits.” Father God, I know for a fact from all the people who repeatedly tell me how very hard I am on myself that I fall into this crushed spirit category.

Our dad did all that he truly thought was best. He absolutely tried to inspire my big brother and I to greatness. What he managed to achieve is two adult kids who still don’t think they can do many things well.

YOU are so much bigger than our daddy’s mistaken intents. Work in us both, I pray, most dear and blessed Father. Our dad’s love for us, while flawed, was real. As far as I know, he didn’t know You well and his own earthly father’s example wasn’t stellar either.

What I am asking here Dear Everlasting Father is for some serious re-parenting. The ‘quick to forgive an offense’ sited above? Make it so the children mentioned in this particular prayer can learn to do exactly that. Be quick to forgive themselves in whatever offense arises.

Father God, thank You for the honor and the privilege to come before You in heartfelt faith and wonder. You are so good and kind to clothe us so perfectly in Your basic, all-purpose garment of love. Thank You Father. I love You. Amen.

(570 words ~ 1:35 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment