Friday, December 9, 2011

Matthew 11:27-30

Friday, December 9, 2011 (6:50 a.m.)

Blessed Lord Jesus,

I feel tapped this morning. Tired. Weary. Emotional. Drained.

(7:40 a.m.)

And in almost direct response to that, I started reading Your Word and fell promptly back to sleep. Thank You.

(8:50 a.m.)

Here I am. Back again. Well, not really gone at all. Spending the last good while scrolling through YouTube videos of various people singing Sweet Little Jesus Boy did not end with the ‘perfect’ one for which I sought.

What I did get was better. Memories of the very first time I heard it sung at the First Presbyterian Church all those years ago. The people involved in bringing this incredible singer to us year after year, each Christmas Season. Thank You Jesus for the people You bring into our lives for certain purposes!

Thank You too for the different ways in which this song has been sung through the years. Each singer putting their own ‘spin’ on the same song. The Truth and integrity of the song itself doesn’t change. That’s what I am finding this morning as I read Your Word.

Matthew 11:27-30 in the various translations presents Your Truth. Each variation saying It just a little bit differently. Playing to Its own audience, if You will.

While being fairly familiar with Your urging to “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens and I will give You rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light” (vs. 28-30 NLT).

This morning the first part of verse 27 (NLT) seems brand new to me. “My Father has entrusted everything to me.” What a thought! What a lovely, incredible thought!

Looking to other translations I get to read the same Truth presented differently. The Message says, “The Father has given me all these things to do and say… Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

And here in The Cotton Patch Gospel the essence of the rest that is available to us through our trust in You is presented in even earthier terms. “Come to me, all of you who are frustrated and have had a bellyful, and I will give you zest, Get in the harness with me and let me Leach you, for I am trained and have a cooperative spirit, and you will find zest for your lives. For my harness is practical, and my assignment is joyful.”

Zest? Joy? Sign me up Lord Jesus! Getting into a harness with You seems absolutely delightful and exactly where I want to be. Perfectly in step with You. Thank You for Your more than kind and generous offer. I accept! I love You so very much. Thank You. Amen.

(544 words ~ 12:26 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment