Monday, July 26, 2010

surprises

Monday, July 26, 2010 (6:38 a.m.)

Good Morning Lord,

I think I’d better be on the lookout for surprises today. I’ve already had a couple and I’m not even fully awake yet.

How about that full moon staying visible right outside my bedroom window all night long? How pleasantly surprising was that? A much loved one sleeping on our living room couch this morning? That was pretty surprising! Not finding the lyrics to a song heard in church yesterday as expected? Another surprise.

Thank You Lord that I get to bring all surprises to You. Whether somewhat expected by me or by the very nature of the word, something astonishingly amazing I get to rest assured that with YOU there are no surprises! Thank You Lord. Thank You that I get to keep searching Your Word for the mention of this ‘single distinct meaningful element of speech’.

Eugene H. Peterson used it eight times in The Message, his "contemporary rendering of the Bible from the original languages, crafted to present its tone, rhythm, events, and ideas in everyday language". Twice in Job, three times in Proverbs and once each in Matthew, Mark and Luke (where Jesus spoke of Judas’ expected betrayal). Thank You God that there ARE no surprises for You. You are aware of every single aspect of our beings.

I am hard pressed to choose only one ‘favorite’ of these listings this morning. Misguided as Job’s friends were in their advice giving, the one quoted in 5:8 had Your ability quite right. “After all, He’s famous for great and unexpected acts; there’s no end to His surprises.” Job’s continued reply (9:1-3) to those so freely offering him their opinions was again ‘right on’. “We’ll never comprehend all the great things He does; His miracle-surprises can’t be counted.”

Referring to the importance of guarding Clear Thinking and Common Sense with our lives, Proverb 3:21 reminds us, “No need to panic over alarms or surprises, or predictions that doomsday’s just around the corner, Because God will be right there with you; He’ll keep you safe and sound.” Proverb 19:23 quite simply states, “Fear-of-God is life itself, a full life, and serene – no nasty surprises.”

Then of course, Jesus being You in human form, knew exactly what was coming and shared His foreknowledge with the Twelve at His Last Supper. The upcoming betrayal was “well-marked by the Scriptures – no surprises here.” (Matthew 26:23, Mark 14:20)

Thank You Lord that for You there are no surprises. Work with me this day to better trust and fully lean into You when they come my way. I love You so very much Dear Lord. Thank You for surprises for every kind. Even (especially?) the ones I don’t think I’m going to like. I love You. Thank You. Amen.

(466 words ~ 8:45 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment