Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Mother’s Day Sunday, May 9, 2010 (7:00 a.m.)

Awesome, Blessed Father God,

I know that next month it’ll be appropriate to tell You “Happy Father’s Day”, but what about today? I search Your Word and nowhere do I find a mention of You as Mother. You are, however, the One who created them.

Monday, May 10, 2010 (6:25 a.m.)

Thank You Father for the opportunity to ponder that question yesterday. Thank You for the resources with which to research it. Thank You for continuing to draw me back to You each time I have gotten side-tracked in order to avoid all that this day doesn’t represent to me.

Funny. Smile. Grateful. Thank You! I was just thinking of typing the words, “It’s just like any other day” when I remembered having just talked with You about ‘not just any ordinary day’ a few days ago. Thank You Lord. Thank You that I don’t have to limp around days trying to ignore them. Just because I don’t agree with what big business has done to corrupt and guilt the flavor and feel of the occasion, I can still be grateful to You for the honor and privilege of having had a mom who truly loved and wanted me.

Thank You Lord, for calling me back to You to the point that I could acknowledge many of the sour points that this day represents to me. Never do we (in this particular household) have a day that looks anything like the ones advertised as being the norm in the media. I confess to still seeing it as the anniversary of the day we came home from church after brunch to find we had been burglarized. Not exactly the day of hearts and flowers for me!

BUT! You ARE God and thusly You are good and as I continue sidling up to You in my feeble attempt to boycott this day that never seems to go the way I think it ought, I AM grateful (in some tiny degree) to the love that peeks through my negativity. Lord, You keep providing points of joy. Little oases of hope and peace. Tiny reminders that You alone are God and that we are to love You with all of our hearts and souls and minds and strength (Mark 12:29, 30).

Lord, thank You. As convoluted as my thoughts and feelings have been these past few days, YOU know my heart! Thank You that I get to keep bringing it to You. Confused. Imperfect. Longing to be deemed faithful in Your sight. I could put on a happy face. Say all the ‘right’ words and pretend that I meant them. But Lord, how much more I prefer knowing what a waste of Your time that would be.

For two days I have sat with my Bibles and study books open to Isaiah 66 trying to fully digest and understand Your words to this particular statesman and speaker. You spoke to Your prophet concerning truth, confrontation, hope, the importance of taking action. I confess to having more questions than answers and less understanding than when I began.

In response to all of my wondering, I still choose to just hold steady to the course of trusting You. Believing that all will be revealed to me in Your good time. Until then I will simply continue pondering the truth of Your Word, especially where Jerusalem is portrayed “like a mother” (Isaiah 66:8) and followed by Your promise in verse 13. “I will comfort you there (Jerusalem) like a mother comforting her child.”

While I may not have a clear understanding, I can continue trusting You to provide the hope, faith and love that You have promised will remain (1Corinthians 13:13). Thank You Lord that You will never leave us nor forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6). Thank You that we get to trace every fear, concern, doubt or problem back to Your Holy Word for Your divine guidance. Thank You that You DO “comfort us as a mother comforts her child.” Thank You for loving us so much Lord. I love You. Thank You. Amen.

(684 words ~ 9:22 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment