Thursday, May 6, 2010

listening

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 (6:34 a.m.)

Blessed Lord,

You rock! It’s taken me almost an hour to get serious and stay here with You in Your Word. I’ve wandered around the house and the internet and finally I’ve found what I was looking for all the time; You speaking to me through James.

Thank You Lord! Thank You that there are so many times I think I know what I am looking for, only to be reminded of how much better things work out when I come before You without my agenda. Thank You that even as I thought I wanted to ask You to make me a better listener, You knew You had a better thing in mind for me.

I am not to be “a hearer of the Word” only. I am to be a “doer” as well (James 1:23). Lord, thank You for this sappy little smile I have on my face as all the dots of the morning connect and I’m singing Here I am once again, I pour out my heart For I know that You hear every cry You are listening No matter what state my heart is in You are faithful to answer With words that are true and a hope that is real As I feel Your touch You bring a freedom to all that’s within In the safety of this place

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 (6:47 a.m.)

And I’m back! (And still thankful.) Lord, You gave me such a day of fun, hard work and relaxation all at the same time yesterday. Why? Because I was listening!

How long has it been since I could hear You in the midst of yard work? When was the last time I got excited about the prospects of summer and swimming? Lord. Thank You!

Thank You for the satisfaction of filling trash can after trash can with yard waste. Thank You for the joy of digging in the dirt again and being ‘wowed’ by all Your handiwork. Thank You for deep seeded thoughts that came from the focus of sticking to the task at hand. AND Lord, thank You for the wherewithal to say, “When!” and be done for the day, even though there was just a seeming little bit more to go.

Lord, it’s been so long since I’ve felt that close to You in the yard. Thank You for the true sense of connectedness. Thank You too for the opportunity to take regular breaks to rest and spend time with my husband, listening (REALLY listening!) to what all he had been doing with the day.

Thank You Lord that there truly was a feeling of working together and getting along between the three of this household. Well, I guess it would be four if we counted You, wouldn’t it?

Reading again the first chapter of James, I find I am smiling once more. Verses two through four speak of being happy when our lives are full of difficulties and temptations, because our patience has a chance to grow into full bloom, making us ready for anything, “strong in character, full and complete.”

Oh yes Lord! It is when we stay connected to You that we can withstand all the world has to throw at us. Over at the end of the chapter (v. 19) it tells of the importance of listening much, speaking little and not becoming angry, “for anger doesn’t make us good, as God demands that we must be.” (v. 20)

Lord, as I prepare to leave this safe place of mini worship with You, I ask that I take the truth and the wisdom of Your Word with me throughout the day, truly being a doer of Your Word, not just a listener (v. 23). I love You so very much Dear Lord. Help me obey and glorify You more. Thank You. Amen.

(642 words ~ 7:47 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment