Sunday, May 30, 2010

Joseph

Sunday, May 30, 2010 (6:23 a.m.)

Blessed Lord,

Half an hour after starting this and I’m still doubting that You really want to speak to me about Joseph. For the second day in a row I’ve woken up singing Joseph – Pharaoh’s number two Joseph – Egypt looks to You [NEVER would I have guessed the title is Stone the Crows! J]

So I sit here wondering where You would have me look (Genesis 41 tells this part of his story) and what You would have me learn. Rather than continuing to just sit and stare, here I am saying right out loud, “I don’t get it Lord. I don’t understand.” And I guess when all the truth be told, I don’t HAVE to ‘get’ anything do I Lord? I don’t have to understand. I’m just supposed to obey. Okay. This is me obeying and following Your lead!

(9:12 a.m.)

And now, after waking up from my own dream, I am again reading more about Joseph. Lord, how I thank You for teaching me to follow You. Thank You that even when my first instinct is to doubt, Your patience prevails. Thank You Lord.

Thank You that in just this one part of Joseph’s story I get to become more acquainted with the historic authenticity of Your Word. Thank You that while reading the scripture itself and then related devotions and Bible Handbook articles about Joseph and life at his time, I am again aware of the thimbleful of knowledge and understanding that I actually have. To read and think loudly, “Wow! I didn’t know that” is such a reminder of how very much more I have to learn. Thank You Lord that You have given us such examples of boasting, overconfidence, jealousy and broken family relationships.

Oh but You didn’t just stop there. No. Joseph’s examples were also that of his personal relationship with You. His attitude of asking You, “What shall I do now?” rather than “Why me God?” Even if he was discouraged by his circumstances, he wasn’t derailed by them. He consistently lived his life according to Your principles and ultimately was rewarded. He was able to stay true to his convictions no matter the situation. Because of his high personal integrity and great spiritual sensitivity he was elevated from slavery to prime minister.

Wow Lord! Thank You for this opportunity to read again how You can turn what others meant for evil into something used for good. Thank You that You can and often do mold our weaknesses into strengths. Here in this particular story about Joseph I again get to take to heart that ‘our responses to the circumstances we face are more important than the actual circumstances themselves.’

Thank You Lord that You do indeed know what is best for me. Help me pay careful attention to Your leading, even when it comes in the form of a Broadway musical. Joseph – Pharaoh’s number two Joseph – Egypt looks to You…

I love You so much Lord. Thank You. Amen.

(507 words ~ 9:49 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment