Friday, May 7, 2010

love

Friday, May 7, 2010 (6:56 a.m.)

Awesome God,

Good morning. I love You. What do You have for me to consider this morning? Once again I think it has to do with love. Love for You, love for our neighbors, love for ourselves. So tell me Lord. How DO we learn more about loving the way You would have us love?

Turning to Your Word is the first place I start. I must confess to being hugely surprised by the number of choices I have in the ‘subject index’, all under the heading “Love” “…for enemies, for neighbors, for others, as basic principle, Love for God, Love of God, and of course, (romantic)”. Oh and look over here. Right at the end of ‘as basic principle’ it says, “also see Obedience”.

Thank You Lord. Thank You that I get to come before You wondering. And You are not only ready, willing and so incredibly able to provide my every need, You are faithful to answer With words that are true and a hope that is real

I’m reading in First John, about the reason it was written in the first place. To alert the early church of the false spiritual teachers that were out there. Lord, thank You! Thank You for loving us so much that You would ‘invite us to joy’ (chapter 1:1-4), describe how it is that we are to ‘walk in the light’ (1:5-2:29), ‘be honest with ourselves’ (1:5-2:2), ‘be loving’ (2:3-11) and ‘walk in love’ (3:1-4:19).

Lord, I look at a section in the introduction that I bracketed fifteen years ago. Again I pause to thank You for Your faithful servants of the past. John wrote this letter to help the readers answer the question, “Are we true believers?” How many of us still ask that question of ourselves to this very day?

My Life Recovery Bible says, “John told them that they could tell by looking at their actions: If they loved one another, that was evidence of God’s presence in their lives. But if they bickered and fought all the time, or were selfish and did not look out for one another, they were betraying that they, in fact, did NOT know God.”

As I continue scanning just the book’s intro, I’m drawn to the faint underlining from many years past, “Depending on God, treat others with respect and dignity, It takes humility and commitment to live at peace with others”.

Oh most dear and blessed Lord God, please, teach me more this day about love! I do love You so much. Thank You! Amen.

(430 words ~ 7:48 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment