Saturday, July 14, 2018

"part acts"


Friday, July 13, 2018 (7:12 a.m.)
Blessed God,

Work with me please. In, by, through and for me. I tend to have what seem to me such great ideas. Only to find out they really aren’t. Or I don’t follow through with them.

You know me so much better than I know myself. Thank You that You do.

Thank You that You are good. Thank You that we are bade to come to You. Thank You that You absolutely know what is best.

This morning I come before You with the fact that I am feeling overwhelmed. There are so many projects that I have consciously been avoiding because they all seem so daunting.

During the night I was reminded of the recovery tool of breaking tasks up into part acts. I confess to having gotten quite excited at the thought.

Thank You for the hope that came from believing that I can get out from under the massive mess that has accumulated around here. Holy God, You are our hope. Truly.

Turning to Your Word again I smile as I read the verse that came up during my search of “part acts”. The Message. Hebrews 13:16. “Make sure you don’t takes things for granted and go slack in working for the common good; share what you have with others. God take particular pleasure in acts of worship - a different kind of ‘sacrifice’ - that take place in kitchen and workplace and on the streets.”

Mm, yes! Father, I long to not “go slack in working for the common good”. Truly I want to ‘share what we have with others’. Yes, Yes, Please!

Reading in Illustrated Bible Handbook, “Chapter 13. Love and Good Deeds”. Yes. Tell me more. “Offer Praise; 13:15, 16.”

Do all You must Father in enabling and empowering me to make decisions and follow through with letting go of all that is unnecessary. Your good, Your glory. Those are necessary. I am asking You for the courage to risk making mistakes. I no longer want to stay stuck by indecision.

I love You Father. Yes. I read Your Word. I become so incredibly hopeful. Empower me I pray.

“With Jesus’ help, let us continually offer our sacrifices of praise to God by proclaiming the glory of His name. Don’t forget to do good and to share what you have with those in need, for such sacrifices are very pleasing to God” (Hebrews 13:15-16, New Living Translation).

An Illustrated Bible Handbook Theology in Brief (found in Titus) titled Good Works teaches that we are to offer You praise and our dedication of “doing good”. The root meaning of the word Paul used (kalos) is “beautiful, noble.”

“In Greek thought it [kalos] implies that which is aesthetically pleasing as well as morally good. It ultimately came to mean ‘the total state of soundness, health, wholeness and order’ that were to rule within and without a person.”

A comment in The Life Recovery Bible (Hebrews) spells out “13:8, 15-16 … Jesus Christ is totally consistent and trustworthy. He will always be there for us, no matter what. As that kind of God and friend, Christ deserves to receive the new covenant equivalent of old covenant sacrifices: (1) praise for who He is and what He has done; (2) good works of service; and (3) sharing with others in need (see 13:2-3). These activities all support an essential step in our ongoing recovery - telling others what God has done in our life and reaching out to people in need.”

You, only You, can teach me to do good and share with others. How I ask You to in, with, by, through and for me that which I cannot do myself. I love You. Thank You. Amen.
(633 words ~ 9:05 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment