Friday, July 6, 2018

giving thanks in all things


Thursday, July 5, 2018 (7:15 a.m.)
Blessed, Holy God,

Thank You for years of loving You. Thank You for things that have changed over those years. I realize I don’t even know how to express my thanks right now.

“In all things give thanks”. Let’s look in to that, shall we? 1 Thessalonians 5:18.

Thank You for helping me smile. Yes Lord. I love those times I notice I am smiling and become aware that you have made me glad about something. Anything.

It’s becoming second nature to turn a smile back to You with a thankful heart. Thank You Father.

I read Paul’s encouraging words to the believers in Thessalonica. Thank You for this record of their trust in You. Enable me this day to live as he directed them: warning those who are lazy (v. 14a), encouraging those who are timid (14b), taking tender care of those who are weak (14c), being patient with everyone (14d).

That verse alone is a fairly tall order!

Oh, but the Truth that comes from his directions. Not repaying evil for evil (15a), always trying to do good to each other and everyone else (15b). Always being joyful (16). Keep on praying (17). “No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus” (18). So important. So true.

Holy God, thank You for Your Word. Your warnings. Your promises.

Let me learn to “not stifle the Holy Spirit” (v. 19). To “not scoff at prophecies” ( 20), but to “test everything that is said” (21a) and to “hold on to what is good” (21b). You alone are what is good. Keep me away from every kind of evil (22).

Such a short, yet power filled section. Yes a very short portion of Scripture reminding us that it is one 
(12:34 p.m.)
… that it is one what?

A very unexpected phone call from a loved one saddened by another’s completely unanticipated death. Father, thank You for the ability to reach out to others in our pain and sorrow.

Thank You especially for this morning’s first verse reminding us to “in all things give thanks”. Even an unforeseen death.

Thank You Father that nothing is unforeseen or surprising to You. Thank You that we are not alone. You made us to need one another. And to be there for each other. Thank You.

I ask You to bless those families that are hurting by loss. Things do not stay the same. They change. And we are to give thanks always. Empower and enable us in living Your Word as only You know is best.

Thank You for loving us. Always. Use me today to Your good and to Your glory. I love You. I thank You. Amen.
(466 words ~ 1:03 p.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment