Saturday, September 4, 2010

memories

Saturday, September 4, 2010 (7:05 a.m.)

Good Morning Lord,

I love You. Thank You. I’m smiling as I contemplate memories. Yesterday You provided us a wonderful opportunity to retrace many of our most precious memories beginning some 34 years ago. A favorite beach house, treasured friends and beautiful surroundings all led to a blessed afternoon of remembering. Thank You Lord. Thank You for the gift of memories.

This morning I find only two verses containing the word memories. They both challenge me to become more the woman You created me to be. Proverbs 10:7, “We all have happy memories of the godly, but the name of a wicked person rots away.” How very true Lord. I desperately long to become a person who evokes happy memories!

Paul’s first letter to the people of Thessalonica tells of Timothy’s visit to them in Paul’s place. “But Timothy has just now come to us from you and has brought good news about your faith and love. He has told us that you always have pleasant memories of us and that you long to see us just as we also long to see you.” (1 Thessalonians 3:6)

These are the people I want to emulate Lord. No Lord. Scratch that. On second (and even third, fourth, fifth…) thought, YOU are the person I want to be like! Thank You for providing us with their examples of being people filled with Your faith and love. These were people readily willing to suffer greatly for the privilege of following You.

According to The Bible Handbook, Paul knew these young believers were suffering persecution and strong opposition. His love for them was further demonstrated by his concern and sending Timothy in his place. He was filled with joy upon Timothy’s return with news of their steadfastness and affection for Paul.

As deeply as Paul loved these believers, he didn’t pray that their persecution would end. Instead he asked You “that their intimate relationship of love, so vital to growth in holiness, might ‘increase and overflow’ (vs. 12, 13)”.

Lord, continue Your work in me. I pray that I would not so much fear suffering but instead count it as a blessing. Thank You for the memories that You provide us Lord. Help us use them to continue building the lives You would have us live. I love You so much dearest Lord. Thank You. Amen.

(399 words ~ 8:12 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment