Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Deuteronomy

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 (5:00 a.m.)

Holy God. Holy One,

Yes. Holy One! Only You deserve the praises of the earth Words are not enough to sing of all Your worth Oh I glorify Your name I worship You Lord in this place You have called, I have come To the house of the Holy One You are God, I will run into You Thank You Holy God for Your healing blood Thank You for Your grace, and Your mighty love

Oh most dear and beloved Lord God. Thank You for such gentle strains as these playing in my soul upon awakening this morning. Thank You for the early call to time spent with You. Thank You for the ease with which to find these lyrics ~ both the title of the song we sang so vigorously in church on Sunday morning and Evan Wickham’s words on the internet.

Thank You Lord for a heart that is both content and agog with the opportunity to just sit here with You this morning. Lord, thank You for directing me to Moses’ words in Deuteronomy this morning. My Life Recovery Bible states the purpose of his having written theses words was “To assist God’s people as they live in the present, by reviewing what God has done in the past and considering what God has promised to do in the future.”

Lord, I’m looking around here at the order that You are bringing into our household. Decades of unhealthy patterns are not only being challenged, but changed. And it’s all because of You Dear Lord.

The privilege of spending time with You and in Your Word is one I have too often taken for granted. Reading more of the introduction to the book of Deuteronomy, I am once again made aware that the Israelites were rebuilding. “They were trying to make sense of forty wasted years. They were looking for ways to overcome the fear that had caused them to fail once before.”

Blessed Lord, thank You that YOU are that way! Thank You Lord that You are the Truth and the Life (John 14:6) as well. What joy is to be found in living in connection with You. Thank You Lord.

Thank You for the freedom with which to rejoice in Your kindness and Your goodness. Oh Most Holy God, as I continue in just the introduction itself I find myself flooded with peace and hope as well. “Rebuilding a life is serious business.” Yes Lord! “In Deuteronomy, God gives that subject His full attention. He gives us some essential guidelines for God’s program of victory.” Sign me up for that program Lord! Your program!

“He shows how we can gain direction from the past, guidance for the present, and hope for the future. Deuteronomy is a handbook for rebuilders.” Oh yes Dearest Lord. Rebuild me. Rebuild us. Make us into a family known for loving and obeying You and Your most Holy Word.

Turning the page and preparing to go deeper into Your Word, I find four subtitles under Recovery Themes. Learning from the Past, A Program for the Present, Hope for the Future and Rebuilding. Oh Blessed God, You are so good!

“How exciting to be able to start over again. This should be our attitude whenever we fail – anticipating a new start!” And as if my hope in Your truth is not enough, I am again reminded, “There is hope! We can begin again! What an encouragement to our starting over again when we have failed!”

But Wait! There’s more! J “And God’s grace in that process is limitless.” Oh my goodness Lord. YOU are limitless! Thank You for Your bounty so perfectly and regularly poured out upon us.

Preparing to leave here and get started on the day, my eyes and attention are once again drawn into Your Word. Chapter 1, verse 21, “Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” And then of course the verse that started the whole look here in the first place (33:25) “As thy days, so shall thy strength be.”

Thank You Lord for this blessed reminder that all my days and all my dreams are covered by and filtered through You. Empower me to live them well. I love You Lord. Thank You. Amen.

(715 words ~ 5:55 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment